The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best mixing controller for Logic Pro X: 2017
Old 15th March 2018 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Brown ➡️
I don't see any mention of the ICON QCON PRO X Controllers, anyone have any experience with these with Logic X?

YouTube

Qcon Pro X | Icon
There’s quite a bit of discussion on those here. Might search around. Seems to be a lot of issues and lack of support. I like the looks of them but some things I saw scared me away.
Old 16th March 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2studios ➡️
There’s quite a bit of discussion on those here. Might search around. Seems to be a lot of issues and lack of support. I like the looks of them but some things I saw scared me away.
Damn! they do look nice, but yeah, after about half an hour of reading i guess i can see there are a lot of problems that are not addressed, and a lack of worthwhile on going support.
Old 19th March 2018
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Wow, @ rlindman I love your spartan but high tech setup. What's that bendy wendy keyboard called again?
Old 19th March 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by facej ➡️
The thread is about Logic. The Mackie Control started life as a Logic Control. A straight clone of a Mackie Control is going to be the most likely to succeed when used with Logic.

I would point everyone to the Logic Pro X Control Surfaces Support manual where the Mackie Control is about as fully documented as it can be.

An Avid S3 with Eucon might be best, but the price! An X-Touch is $450. Nearest priced Avid controller is twice that. And drivers.

I agree. I am using LPX because it is more cost efficient and all and I was on a constant hunt for a digital mixer cause I am the type of person to use plugins more than outboard gear and instruments. But if your are looking for a digital mixer that helps you get 100% over your mix without a mouse or keyboard. I would recommend the X Touch. Once I got into the hang of it. My mixes on LPX got better and quicker. I don't use it with other DAWs like FL or Ableton only because it does not offer the same type of control over the DAW (I also have a Push so no need for a mixer for Ableton). But if you are looking for the best control surface for LPX. I would go with the X Touch. Cheaper and works better.
Old 20th March 2018 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2studios ➡️
I would like to see some pics of x-touch setups., especially those who have the extender as well. So hey fit together “nicely”? It seems like there would be a gap. I would also be interested in building them into a custom desk to alleviate some of the ergonomic issues.
I’m getting my 2nd extender tomorrow. I’ll post a pic of it before the end of the week.
Old 20th March 2018 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evaggelos ➡️
Maybe I'll give an unexpected player...What about m-audio project mix I/O ?
It has midi I/o, firewire. I use it with Logic Pro x and it's great... but only on Maverics! theres a way to make it compatible as I read in forums, but it confuse me, so I have two different OS X in my system, just for that.
The hacks to get ProjectMix I/O working on newer Mac OS versions are problematic. You have to disable SIP, which exists for a reason. The hack seems to work for some people and not others (I was in the Facebook group for it for a while).

More critically, the hack results in instant kernel panic if the device is disconnected while the OS is running. FireWire was intended to be hot-pluggable. Cables can sometimes pull out when moving computers around on desks. I also want to be able to switch things off when I'm not using them. Kernel panic on disconnect is absolutely unacceptable. The guy who provides the hacked installer and instructions has no interest in trying to solve this and probably cannot solve it.

This situation sucks a lot, because I own one of these, as well as a Profire Lightbridge. They're both great hardware, they were relatively expensive, and they're useless for modern Macs because Avid and M-Audio both abandoned the driver development (when Avid sold M-Audio to InMusic; I'll never buy from any of these companies again).

I'm about to "replace" my ProjectMix with a 2-channel Art Digital MPA II mic preamp and a Behringer X-Touch. It's $800 I don't really want to spend because I have a limited cache of money waiting for Apple to release a proper Mac Pro and a number of software upgrades to buy. I've stayed on Snow Leopard for ten years because of this situation but it just is too much effort now (no web browser is kept current on Snow Leopard any more and almost no software is supported on it anymore, which sucks because Apple climaxed at Snow Leopard and has gone downhill since). I'll keep Snow Leopard as a dual boot option but it's long past time for me to migrate to Logic X.

I'm glad to see the positive comments here about the Behringer X-Touch. Hopefully the supposedly reduced ergonomics compared to the Mackie Logic Control (which the ProjectMix is similar to) won't be a big issue and it might even save me some desk space.
Old 20th March 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Tilt it

ergonomics. I have my X-Touch on a "book stand" that places the control surface at a 45 degree angle (or so). It sits on top of my 12-space rack (on wheels) just to my left, with the bottom of the X-Touch almost as high as my desk surface.
Attached Thumbnails
Best mixing controller for Logic Pro X: 2017-20160517-img_1590-2016-05-17-12-54-59.jpg  
Old 20th March 2018
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I'm curious, how do y'all who place them X-tushes on stands and racks ever get down on them, ride them with with fingers and all?
Old 20th March 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I "ride" mine in two ways. 1 - I simply reach my left hand over and grab faders, transport buttons etc. I can do this while looking at my screen without much trouble.

2 - most common - I put on headphones, turn my chair to face the controller and work according to what I hear. I call that 'bareback' mode ;-)
Old 24th March 2018
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I guess I'm old school. I like getting the beast on its back where I can dominate it ;-)
Old 17th April 2018
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Forgive me here - I'm pretty new with logic.

So I just got the x-touch and an extender and overall it's very nice :-)

However I think I need to customize the setup with logic as there's a few annoyances:

1) Took me about half an hour to realize that I had to hit the EQ twice to bring up all the parameters
2) Apple have decided that you need an 8 band eq (incl low/high cut) with 4 parameters (incl on/off) for each band. Hence you would need 32 knobs to control the entire EQ for a single channel strip. I have to lean over, read the small scribble, perhaps flip to the next "page" before I can do any adjustments

I'm more after a one parameter = one knob solution...

Is there anyway I can customize the setup? I'm thinking something like on an analogue mixer:
1) HiPass gain (e.g. at 40 Hz)
2) Low shelf frequency
3) Low shelf gain
4) LMid freguency
5) LMid gain
6) HMid frequency
7) HMid gain
8) High shelf frequency
9) High shelf gain

or alternatively exchange HMid frequency and gain for a Q control on the Mid band?

I have tried reading in the logic control surface bible, but I'm still a bit lost.
Old 17th April 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The joys of a fancy EQ. The EQ button on the X-Touch causes a "Channel EQ" to be used. You could simply use the AUParametricEQ plugin, and press the Plug-In button to choose that. I have "Center Freq", "Q" and "Gain" on vpots 1, 3, and 5.

The AUGraphicEQ lets me fiddle with the first 8 bands of the EQ.

The FLIP button lets you control values with faders instead of Vpots.

You use the "cursor" left/right buttons - bottom diamond on the X-Touch to move through the "pages".

The Vpots/faders are assigned in the order that you would see things in the "Controls" view of a plug-in.

You might want to try using a plug-in EQ and testing "Smart Controls".

You also could re-program what buttons do what in EQ mode, but that way lies madness, I am afraid.

I have been reading chapter 4 of the control surface bible for 18 months and still am lost for the most part.
Old 23rd April 2018
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I've been using a Mackie MCU for over a decade and have no complaints. Well, except that mine is now old and loud and I need to replace it. I plan on getting another one when my next big job comes in. I felt it streamlined my workflow, saved me time, and added some tactile enjoyment to the process. You'll get no complaints from this corner of the bar.
Old 3rd October 2018
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Just got the X Touch a couple of weeks ago and love it so far (with Logic Pro X). Ordered an extender today to give me 16 faders and plenty of plug in control ability. My ONLY complaint is the scribble strips screen display/angle/view. From seated position they are kind of hard to see/read but I put my X touch on an angled Ikea type laptop stand and it helps tremendously. Note that my desk sits a little bit high so a lower desk might work fine as is, but you do have to really be on top of it to read them easily. Color background or contrast adjust would REALLY help...But what you get for the price really is a good deal.

Anybody here have an x touch with TWO extenders yet (24 fader setup)? That's my final goal but I'd love to hear if anyone has a setup like that yet before I order another.

Thanks!
Old 5th October 2018
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
As an update I wanted to clarify something. Just found out that you can adjust the lcd contrast of the scribble strips by holding the channel 1 select button at power on than rotary pot 8 will adjust contrast. Helps for sure with my setup. I got it set to right about 60%..
Old 7th October 2018 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_gant ➡️
The mackie Logic control units are cheap used. Were these USB?
Yes, I believe that when the Mackie name was added, the units began using USB to communicate data. The original eMagic units (which were also designed by Mackie) only used MIDI Ins and Outs. I have one of those eMagic ones but haven’t used it in ages.

When I was using it, the eMagic “Logic Control” as it was called was routed through an AMT-8 to interface with the computer via USB. What I’m not sure about is whether the newer Mackie units offer a finer data resolution since they aren’t limited by MIDI protocol. It was a solid unit though. The faders felt a little “loose” to me but you get used to it.
Old 7th October 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
SSL Nucleus. Been through several. Best by a long shot. 100% customisable, 128 key command short cuts. Built like a tank. Went there from Artist Mix, never looked back.

Cdlt
Old 8th October 2018 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melgueil ➡️
SSL Nucleus. Been through several. Best by a long shot. 100% customisable, 128 key command short cuts. Built like a tank. Went there from Artist Mix, never looked back.

Cdlt
The 2 or original? It's a beautiful machine and I'd love to go there someday.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by galactic orange ➡️
Yes, I believe that when the Mackie name was added, the units began using USB to communicate data. The original eMagic units (which were also designed by Mackie) only used MIDI Ins and Outs. I have one of those eMagic ones but haven’t used it in ages.

When I was using it, the eMagic “Logic Control” as it was called was routed through an AMT-8 to interface with the computer via USB. What I’m not sure about is whether the newer Mackie units offer a finer data resolution since they aren’t limited by MIDI protocol. It was a solid unit though. The faders felt a little “loose” to me but you get used to it.
Only the MCU Pro, the white ones, have USB ports.
Before that they all have MIDI sockets only.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbackdoor ➡️
Thanks for the clarification.
Old 12th October 2018
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
My X touch with extender. I took off the side covers on each to make them more "flush" and taped over the exposed area on the bottom to keep out dust. Works very well in LPX. Will be adding one more extender in the next couple months. I have them angled up on two Ikea laptop stands side by side, which helps to see the scribble strips easier and there's enough room to add one more extender.
Attached Thumbnails
Best mixing controller for Logic Pro X: 2017-img_1186.jpg   Best mixing controller for Logic Pro X: 2017-img_1190.jpg  

Last edited by drfonta; 13th October 2018 at 05:57 AM.. Reason: updating pics
Old 14th October 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I just sold my D-command 24 while I could still get something for it. I am also moving over to Logic Pro X do it will become a paper weight. I bought the Touch One to see what Behringer had to offer an I am super impressed. I think I will do 24 channels soon.
Old 22nd October 2018
Here for the gear

What about icon qcon x. I have heard good things plus the amazing meter bridge?
Old 31st October 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have two silver face euphonix mc mix. Best money I have spent in years. Thought free hands on mixing.
Old 5th November 2018
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Here's my X touch with two extender setup. Works great! Left extender connected via network with the main X-touch and middle extender using USB. Got it setup in logic to work in this order L-R and works correct every time. Really nice setup for around 1K. Got a custom cover made by digital deck covers that looks and fits great.
Attached Thumbnails
Best mixing controller for Logic Pro X: 2017-img_1380.jpg   Best mixing controller for Logic Pro X: 2017-img_1379.jpg   Best mixing controller for Logic Pro X: 2017-img_1381.jpg  
Old 6th November 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I notice you have a Slate Raven MTi ... What happened there? Don't like it?
Old 7th November 2018 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrixx ➡️
I notice you have a Slate Raven MTi ... What happened there? Don't like it?
It's "OK". I got that first and still use it sometimes, and I needed a new monitor at the time so I figured I'd give it a shot. The monitor itself is really good too and I can use the touch screen with my OS X stuff too. But I REALLY like this setup I have now. I mostly use it for fader and pan but controlling plug ins works really well too. Especially now with al the knobs I have available.
Old 11th November 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfonta ➡️
Here's my X touch with two extender setup. Works great! Left extender connected via network with the main X-touch and middle extender using USB. Got it setup in logic to work in this order L-R and works correct every time. Really nice setup for around 1K. Got a custom cover made by digital deck covers that looks and fits great.
Looks great, too bad they dont interlock into each other like the avid artist series. Seems like a omission that should be fixed in a v2 version of those units.

They look a bit more compact, thats a plus in a small studio.
📝 Reply