The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Logic Pro X Flex Pitch Issues
Old 20th March 2017
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
This thread is proof of the ongoing issue. Close to giving up on flex pitch if I'm honest.
Old 21st March 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've been watching this thread to see if anyone was going to mention a work-around to the problem with Flexpitch. No one has so I'll guess I'll share what I've found. What I've discovered is that Flexpitch tends to glitch when transitioning from segment to segment, no news there. When the leap from two different pitches is too much, it seems Flexpitch can't smooth it and gives a nasty glitch. What I've done and it's worked, is to make the transitions as smooth as possible. In most cases, this has meant making sure that the pitch on the preceding section is adjusted to 0 if the pitch is out and the pitch on the following section is also adjusted to 0. Sometimes I have to adjust the vibrato as well to get a smoother transition.

So far, since I've discovered it, this has worked for me 100% of the time. I've actually started to like Flexpitch a lot more. Every bit as much as Melodyne, now that I know how work around its flaws.
Old 21st March 2017
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
...the "turning" point for me, no matter which plugin as being used, was to split the "consonant/fricative/impulse" "non-tonal" parts of the "blob" off from each other...and then treat them individually...for me, this applies absolutely when working on vocal parts, remembering how attuned/sensitive humans are to speech, makes total sense...when tuning acoustic guitar parts...ehhh, not so much...hth.../s~
Old 21st March 2017 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo4u ➡️
I've been watching this thread to see if anyone was going to mention a work-around to the problem with Flexpitch. No one has so I'll guess I'll share what I've found. What I've discovered is that Flexpitch tends to glitch when transitioning from segment to segment, no news there. When the leap from two different pitches is too much, it seems Flexpitch can't smooth it and gives a nasty glitch. What I've done and it's worked, is to make the transitions as smooth as possible. In most cases, this has meant making sure that the pitch on the preceding section is adjusted to 0 if the pitch is out and the pitch on the following section is also adjusted to 0. Sometimes I have to adjust the vibrato as well to get a smoother transition.

So far, since I've discovered it, this has worked for me 100% of the time. I've actually started to like Flexpitch a lot more. Every bit as much as Melodyne, now that I know how work around its flaws.
Very interesting. I'll have to give that a go. I do know however that some of the issues I've run into have been over the most mundane, simple transitions with no real audio/pitch complications.
Old 22nd March 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert27191 ➡️
Very interesting. I'll have to give that a go. I do know however that some of the issues I've run into have been over the most mundane, simple transitions with no real audio/pitch complications.
Yes, I've run into that as well. The workaround I've found for that is to locate the problem in the Flexpitch edit window and right where the audio glitches, I use the cut tool and it divides the section in two. When I've done this, I've found that the second section suddenly drops or raises to the next pitch. It's as if Flexpitch couldn't automatically make the split and it needs to be done manually. Once I do that, the problem goes away or I'll need to correct the pitch manually and smooth it out as I mentioned before.

Always make a backup of any file you need to pitch correct. It's a bad idea to go too far down the rabbit hole without a lifeline.
Old 22nd March 2017 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Always make a backup of any file you need to pitch correct. It's a bad idea to go too far down the rabbit hole without a lifeline.
Words to live by. It can happen in the blink of an eye and you're left with the most intricate web of tiny edits to work back through.

Thanks for the heads up re a workaround - will definitely look into this.
Old 20th June 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I feel like I get mixed results with flex pitch and now use it cautiously. I spot corrected a very well recorded vocal this week where there were only 4-6 spots that needed a little minor correction. In each spot the blobs were already separated but the vocal was slurred/sustained from the slightly sharp to no correction necessary part. I would get a slight "click" after correcting, but, was able to get rid of the click if I corrected the ajoining slurred word and made it perfect. I guess logic likes it when both notes are 100% spot on. I've never had any issues like this with Melodyne and right now I'm debating about updating it from version 2 up to 4. I'd love to just rely on Logic for all my pitch correction needs but feel I need to be careful and have Melodyne as my backup (or main) solution.
Old 11th July 2017 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by janiq ➡️
Sorry about a bit of topic question but are you guys using flex pitch a lot ? Cause for me since around 10.1 this feature is useless as it produces loada of artifacts whenever I am trying to tune vocals, instruements... maybe i am doing something wrong so someone can chime in. Thanks.
I almost never use Flex-Pitch, cause I usually don't like the way it sounds, and it is indeed pretty cpu-intensive, so in my experience, it also tends to get clicky & buggy very quick! I Usually go with Melodyne or Antares! Sometimes I use it, if I want that more artificial, Rubbery-Formant Sound! I feel, that the Algorithm definitely has it's own kind of sound & Vibe!
Old 27th March 2018
Here for the gear

Flex pitch popping solved

After tuning the tracks with flex pitch, freeze the tracks. The popping is related to heavy CPU. Happy tuning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert27191 ➡️
Hi All,

When correcting vocals in Logic, I use the logic plug-in 'flex pitch.' In terms of its correcting abilities it works fine, but, after corrections are made, it creates horrible crackling/popping sounds, which do not appear on the original track.

They appear with no consistency or pattern, and cannot be removed (it seems).

This renders flex pitch almost useless - particularly when these pops occur up to half a dozen times in one take.

My question is, has anyone found a solution to this problem (or has had the same experience?). Failing that, can anyone recommend a third party auto-tune plug-in/software? Prepared to spend good money, but don't really know where to start.

TIA
Old 27th March 2018
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Popping and CPU issues are one thing, weird artifacts and little sound glitches are another.

I used Melodyne for about 5 years and Ableton, and then jumped to Logic Pro X with Flex Pitch because I wanted integration. Vocal tuning and manipulation is one of the main things I need to do in music. (Musical theatre writer, use my voice to write) So I wanted to do it all in one place.

Melodyne creates artifacts too, or at least it used to 5 years ago or more. So does Flex-Pitch, I've learned to keep a copy of the vocal I'm tuning, cuz it's easy to get glitches, and I may need to swap out a section of the original.

I think that some of the time what happens is that I accidentally do things to blobs, because I've got more selected than I intended. When I try to put things I accidentally changed back, they get glitchy sometimes. Maybe I'm just a hose-head who makes more mistakes than others when editing vocals, but to be honest I often don't know how the frig I've screwed things up. Partly that's because I only do a major demo every few months, so I forget certain tricks I've learned.

I loved Melodyne, the blobs seemed more intuitive to edit. I could drag the blobs around more easily on the time-line too, it seemed to me, Flex-time remains a little baffling to me. But overall I've had good results in Logic with Flex-pitch, so for now I'll keep trying... I've had great results with it, and lately I have had some things go super-glitchy. I honestly don't know if it's worse now than in earlier versions of Flex-pitch. But if I really thought Melodyne was more solid, I'd be back to it in a minute.

But I really would prefer to just use one program. Like Logic. On a Mac. Done.
Old 29th March 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
doesn't seem to work properly at all since 10.4, all kinds of weird messages coming up. it's not cpu or ram (quad i7, 24 gm ram). half the time the flex pitch analysis doesn't show until you toggle around, and when you try to move notes they often refuse to move, and you get all kinds of weird noise
Old 8th April 2018
Here for the gear

I get pops and clicks when the note is altered too much and there is a slide between notes. It must be the prosseccer not fast enough to handle the quick changes.
Old 8th April 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
is a quad 3.5 i7 too slow for flex pitch?
Old 9th May 2018
Here for the gear

Yes, this problem happens for me with Flex pitch too. It’s nothing to do with CPU overruns, as it happens in the same place each time and even when I bounce just the final solo vocal track to a wav file and listen to it with Adobe Audition. One place the pop occurred between slices, i tried tweaking the pitch drift handles at the end of one slice and beginning of next to get them to line up better. In that case it worked and the pop went away. In another place it didn’t help.
Old 15th November 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I've been having this issue with Flex Pitch for about a year, and it seems to have gotten worse after the latest logic update. Clicks and pops all over the place. I've read a lot of tips, talked to professional engineers, and done many things to try making it work. Upgraded RAM to 32 GB, increased buffer size to 1024, upgraded to an SSD drive, tried "low latency mode," nothing seemed to have any effect, though my computer is much faster now. I'm going to explore a 3rd party option because I'm convinced Flex Pitch can't cut it. Melodyne seems to be a popular front runner? I'm open to other suggestions.

Last edited by mcphonium; 15th November 2018 at 11:43 PM.. Reason: typos
Old 17th November 2018 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphonium ➡️
I've been having this issue with Flex Pitch for about a year, and it seems to have gotten worse after the latest logic update. Clicks and pops all over the place. I've read a lot of tips, talked to professional engineers, and done many things to try making it work. Upgraded RAM to 32 GB, increased buffer size to 1024, upgraded to an SSD drive, tried "low latency mode," nothing seemed to have any effect, though my computer is much faster now. I'm going to explore a 3rd party option because I'm convinced Flex Pitch can't cut it. Melodyne seems to be a popular front runner? I'm open to other suggestions.
Melodyne is the best out there. It takes some getting used to but there is no better option
Old 19th November 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Did you try revoice pro 4 with built-in pitching mode? I'm considering of purchasing some third plugin for pitching the vocals.. Both have ARA function.. and yes it's too pity logic still has glitching/popping problems..
Old 24th March 2020
Here for the gear

[QUOTE=Robert27191;12519653]
Quote:

Thanks for the heads up re a workaround - will definitely look into this.
I am encountering this same problem now and it is stultifying. After reading through this old thread, I'm wondering if Robert27191 or anyone else has managed to find a way to fix Flex Pitch pops and clicks, or what workarounds have been successful.

Last edited by crummyguy; 24th March 2020 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: my text was deleted
Old 25th March 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
For the amount of work it takes to make flex pitch usable (copying the track, inserting only the fixed notes back in, chasing down glitches) it quickly makes Melodyne feel affordable. Maybe it’s just because I know MD so we’ll at this point, but Flet Pitch isn’t worth the effort in my book. I think Flex Time works great (better than Melodyne in terms of ease of use, at least for me).
Old 1st October 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Potential solution: change vibrato parameter

In scouring forums searching for answers to the same issue of vocals producing weird pops and garbling artifact-y "skipping" sounds, I wanted to share my findings: I've found it to be fairly consistent with an issue in how Flex Pitch analyzes "vibrato." Changing the surrounding notes from 100% vibrato down to 96%ish has solved the problem for me.

Still frustrating, but posting here in hopes it helps you—I've been a longtime SlutzFan and finally made an account to help offer my solution. If you're looking for a quick fix that doesn't involve other plugins, buying Melodyne, bouncing in place to new tracks, chopping up a bunch of regions and turning on/off flex, then try adjusting the vibrato (bottom center node) of some of the blobs around where your offending click/pop/artifact is happening!
Old 1st October 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Interesting - I haven't created a vocal track for a while - work/house move/ etc getting in the way. I'll have to try it out.

I've messed with the vibrato settings in FP before so I wonder if I've already tried it - but definitely worth looking at again. Thanks!
Old 2nd October 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
After reading my own comments from 3 years ago, I have to say I've recently purchased Melodyne 5 and find it to be far superior to flex pitch. Yeah, you can get Flexpitch to work most of the time, but after using it for a few months now, Melodyne has yet to glitch even once. I can get more done in a shorter period of time as well.
Old 14th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
...purchased Melodyne 5 and find it to be far superior to flex pitch. Yeah, you can get Flexpitch to work most of the time, but after using it for a few months now, Melodyne has yet to glitch even once. I can get more done in a shorter period of time as well.
I've yet to upgrade to Melodyne 5. Are you using it inside Logic via ARA?

Last I was using Melodyne 4 through ARA it was gitchy and pesky, but worked.
Old 14th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosebear ➡️
I've yet to upgrade to Melodyne 5. Are you using it inside Logic via ARA?

Last I was using Melodyne 4 through ARA it was gitchy and pesky, but worked.
Yes, I am. So far, it's worked perfectly glitch free for me.
Old 8th May 2021
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Yeah, its f'd up, I have the same problem with some projects. The crackles appear on the final bounce too, no matter the buffer size. Curiously, when doing a bounce in place for the flexed vocal track, the problem doesn't appear, so I use that as a workaround... until I can afford a better quality flexer.
Old 10th May 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by meisterjaan ➡️
Yeah, its f'd up, I have the same problem with some projects. The crackles appear on the final bounce too, no matter the buffer size. Curiously, when doing a bounce in place for the flexed vocal track, the problem doesn't appear, so I use that as a workaround... until I can afford a better quality flexer.
Right, well FlexPitch has glitched out and been fixed and glitched again for 8 years now since I started using it. Thanks for the heads up, I guess I'll upgrade my Melodyne to 5 and avoid the current issues. Sigh.
Old 10th May 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Right, well FlexPitch has glitched out and been fixed and glitched again for 8 years now since I started using it. Thanks for the heads up, I guess I'll upgrade my Melodyne to 5 and avoid the current issues. Sigh.
Best thing I ever did (re: pitch correction). Save yourself a lot of grief, give up on it (flex pitch)
Old 13th May 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Best thing I ever did (re: pitch correction). Save yourself a lot of grief, give up on it (flex pitch)
Oh crap I went to upgrade to Melodyne 5 (I have assistant 4) and it looks like it's not compatible with the new M1 Mac yet, only with Intel Macs.

I mean, it's compatible via Rosetta, but then inside Logic via ARA, yikes, isn't that yet another invitation to possible troubles? I dunno, maybe I'll try to muddle along in Flexpitch until they update Melodyne for M1 Macs. Sigh.
Old 28th May 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Oh crap I went to upgrade to Melodyne 5 (I have assistant 4) and it looks like it's not compatible with the new M1 Mac yet, only with Intel Macs.

I mean, it's compatible via Rosetta, but then inside Logic via ARA, yikes, isn't that yet another invitation to possible troubles? I dunno, maybe I'll try to muddle along in Flexpitch until they update Melodyne for M1 Macs. Sigh.
So I just completed a project using Flexpitch. Some weirdness, but different weirdness than the glitches I've experienced in the past...

I use "formants" to change the quality of voices, and they were sometimes not working, (not changing the sound) and sometimes working but not saving. Acting weird.

And with two voices on two different tracks, that were "close" to being in tune, but when I tuned them to the same note, they sounded totally off-key. Then when I turned off flex, they were fine. And I'd selected the correct scale. I dunno. I am never sure when I'm doing something wrong, and when Flexpitch is being weird.
Sigh. I look forward to Melodyne being released for M1 Macs.
Old 30th April 2022 | Show parent
Gear Head

Just my two cents: flex pitch works just fine for me, and many of the artifacts you get from it (or any pitch correction) is from misapplication.

I find that you can resolve this a little through higher sampling rates, making sure your CPU is under control, and making sure you mess with settings in the tool directly. Timbre of the source is going to determine how well the FFT algorithm can separate and detect pitches and the resulting interaction can produce some weirdness when correction is applied. Always start with a “light hand” when adding pitch correction.

I don’t agree this is a larger logic issue.
📝 Reply