Quantcast
How do people attach wireless transmitters to boompole? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How do people attach wireless transmitters to boompole?
Old 10th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Post How do people attach wireless transmitters to boompole?

hello,

I've been wondering for a while how people actually attach their wireless transmitters onto a boom pole during filming. Is there like a special mount? If so, can I get some examples?

Cheers!
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Some people use various attachments from Ambient, KTek etc to attach a regular belt pak TX to the pole up near the mic. Others prefer to use a "butt plug" type TX (the kind made to plug into a handheld mic) at the operator end of the pole. Each approach has pretty obvious advantages and disadvantages, both require the boom op to be a little extra careful with the rig.

philp
Old 11th March 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by philper ➑️
Some people use various attachments from Ambient, KTek etc to attach a regular belt pak TX to the pole up near the mic. Others prefer to use a "butt plug" type TX (the kind made to plug into a handheld mic) at the operator end of the pole. Each approach has pretty obvious advantages and disadvantages, both require the boom op to be a little extra careful with the rig.

philp

Can you show me an image of the belt bak TX you mentioned? I cant seem to google it haha.

Cheers
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Why would you want any more weight on your pole than absolutely necessary? I just never got that. Especially out at the end where the mic is? Ounces at the end of an 18' lever turn into pounds which seem to turn into tons on those ten minute scenes.

My wireless boom rig gets worn on the boomman's belt and it consists of a Lectrosonics UM450 hi-power transmitter velcro'd to a Denecke P40 power supply. It's a touch bulky but my boommen don't seem to mind the package. The internally cabled pole plugs into the Denecke and that plugs into the Lectro. Simple.

D.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've seen standard pocket TX (like Audio Ltd. 2020) equipped with a strip of velcro (soft side), and the pistol grip has the rough counterpart. Simply velcro it together. Works great with the 2020/2040 series and the vdB P48 adaptor cable.
Lectro pocket TX can't supply enough voltage apparently, therefore one needs a separate P48 supply. In my neck of the woods, most Lectro users have the Ambient UMP II. Ambient also make a boom mounting kit called QWB - see QWB: Ambient Recording GmbH for details. You can mount the power supply on one side, and the TX on the other.
The most comfortable way of wireless booming is using a plug-on TX like Lectro HM, Sennheiser SKP series, or the Audio Ltd. PTX. I prefer not mounting it directly to the mic, but rather to the boom end of the suspension/pistol grip, ie. between boom and suspension, using a short and thin cable. My zeps all have the Connbox; the INV suspensions for indoors are equipped with an XLR holder similar to the Ambient QAT-ECO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot ➑️
Why would you want any more weight on your pole than absolutely necessary? I just never got that. Especially out at the end where the mic is? Ounces at the end of an 18' lever turn into pounds which seem to turn into tons on those ten minute scenes.

My wireless boom rig gets worn on the boomman's belt and it consists of a Lectrosonics UM450 hi-power transmitter velcro'd to a Denecke P40 power supply. It's a touch bulky but my boommen don't seem to mind the package. The internally cabled pole plugs into the Denecke and that plugs into the Lectro. Simple.

D.
This is an old discussion that regularly comes up on location sound forums.
Reasons to have the TX at the mic end are, for me:
- TX is high in the air, thus improving reach (might be more important to us Euro folks that are limited to 50 mW)
- boom op isn't tied to anything, neither to their boom nor to my cart
- no cable wrangling at all. This is more important when not using internally cabled booms.
My boom ops actually prefer the TX at the mic end, and feel the additional weight is just a matter of training.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I hear what you are saying and all good reasons. We don't do it and we like our method but that certainly doesn't mean it would work for every one.

Oh, and booming a Sennheiser 816 is only a matter of training

D.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot ➑️
I hear what you are saying and all good reasons. We don't do it and we like our method but that certainly doesn't mean it would work for every one.

Oh, and booming a Sennheiser 816 is only a matter of training

D.
...and booming that 816 with a PTX is just a matter of more training
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My friends who worked on the "surf" units of the film "Chasing Mavericks" did a "boom top" TX rig to keep the TX away from the water (which they were deep in) and for range over the wave tops. It does make the pole much more of a beast, often because those situations also demand the longest shotguns available. For normal boom work I too prefer the boom plugged into a belt rig, if only because it allows use of an SD MM1 mic pre ahead of the TX--much better sound and limiter than that built into the TX, as well as hifi monitoring for the boom op.

philp
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I always used a belt pack ,P48 PSU with pads and LFA and then into a TX @ line level
816 and 416 can be chunky in full Rycotes
Later we tried CMIT-5U and the TX at the other end of the boom as counterweight, this was fiddley in operation
Micron and Audio had mics with built in TX, these could be useful.
πŸ“ Reply