Quantcast
Nagra Lino that much better than Sony PCM-M10? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Nagra Lino that much better than Sony PCM-M10?
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Nagra Lino that much better than Sony PCM-M10?

I just picked up a Sony PCM-M10 recorder for a great price ($130) and have been using it pretty extensively on various sources (guitar, percussion, voice, foley). The results have been pretty good but the low end is a bit too subtle for some things. I know that it probably has to do with the omni configuration eliminating the proximity effect of sound sources, but in the event that I want to capture the fullness of an acoustic guitar or a baritone sax, I know I'll need to go with external mics. If I'm looking to keep my setup as simple as possible (only the recorder), would it be preferable to go with the Nagra Lino? It has a cardioid mic configuration and from what I've read, Nagra's quality is considerably better with lower noise than most portable recorders. However, the price is $499, considerably more expensive than the Sony PCM-M10. Internal mic-wise, would I notice a significant difference between the two in terms of general quality? I'd consider the Nagra SD with exchangeable mics but to be honest I mostly just use cardioid in the first place.

Does anyone have any experience using the Nagra Lino? Thanks.

-Sam
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Watch B&H review on the Lino. It has a short segment on acoustic guitar.

But I would seriously look at the Zoom H6. It's less money and offers more options down the road. For example, you can use it with a pair of Schoeps mic if you want. heh
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Thanks for responding. I've usually been disappointed with zoom's quality for the past 15 years. The h4n is horrendously noisy with muddy preamps. The onboard limiter was also ineffective in regard to clipping. Do you know if the h6 has addressed these problems?

-Sam
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'd be suspicious of any onboard limiter in non-premium devices. I believe they tend to operate in the digital domain so that they don't help with clipping in the mic input stage. Better to simply record at a conservative level in the first place.
Old 10th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterhiggins ➑️
Thanks for responding. I've usually been disappointed with zoom's quality for the past 15 years. The h4n is horrendously noisy with muddy preamps. The onboard limiter was also ineffective in regard to clipping. Do you know if the h6 has addressed these problems?

-Sam
There have been a number of threads on the H6. Do a search and you should find answers to your questions. It seems the noise problem is not as bad as the H4N.
Old 10th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by polytope ➑️
There have been a number of threads on the H6. Do a search and you should find answers to your questions. It seems the noise problem is not as bad as the H4N.
Yeah, I did read several of them, but a lot of the positive reviews were from people that are already Zoom fans. Has anyone seen any reviews from skeptics?

-Sam
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
A Nagra is a Nagra is a Nagra.

Please don't compare a Nagra to a Zoom plastic********Mjunque.
πŸ“ Reply