Quantcast
Balanced power and UPS ? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Balanced power and UPS ?
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Talking Balanced power and UPS ?

Any pro guys out there running any ups back up's with balanced power condition? In my truck I have a few IT 1220 furman balanced power cond. and I want to put ups battery back up an my RADARS and my back up hard drives. I have been told you can't, only if you run the balanced power after the ups, which will draw more power. Is there any truth to this??

Last edited by cppi; 18th May 2006 at 11:45 PM.. Reason: Bold title
Old 19th May 2006
Super Moderator

๐ŸŽง 15 years
We don't use balanced power but we do have true sine wave online UPSs on board for the main power and additional backup UPSs for individual components.
Old 24th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Hey Steve,

What brand of UPS do you use? Last year we installed a 30 amp Falcon sine wave UPS in the studio here at NEC because every once in a while some group performing in the hall will request all the lights off for "effect" on some piece. Then at some point in the piece all the lights in the hall would jump back on. Even though we are on a seperate isolated transformer, it will pull enough juice from the street so that sure enough we will loose power in the studio and trip the UPSfor a moment. Before the Falcon we always used a bunch of smaller UPS. Even though this was half assed it did work. Now everything but the 5.1 powered monitors are plugged into the one 30 amp big momma UPS. We had them oversize it and then bring down the fan speed to kill the noise. Also, no UPS exist at front of house or the amp/patching room. All those big momma amps just take too much juice of course. I would think that you rely on your UPS in a big way while in the truck.

Cameron
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I use a dual-conversion UPS with sine-wave output as isolation for the entire audio chain. The balanced power transformer has to go 'after' the UPS, otherwise the signal created by the UPS will be unbalanced.
Super Moderator

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Elroy has three 30 amp MGE UPSs Each UPS goes to a three breaker distribution block. Each UPS handles a different set of equipment. One handles our video wall, another handles the consoles, DAs, line drivers and such and the third one handles all auxilary gear.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…