The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Monitors for remote: KH 120 A & ADAM AX7
Old 11th November 2011
  #91
Gear Nut
 
🎧 15 years
Equator D5 with the optional carrying bag. Just a gem of a little speaker...
Old 11th November 2011 | Show parent
  #92
Gear Nut
 
Liberty Studio's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttown23 ➑️
Yep, I am also far too familiar with Adam A7 issues. To make a long story short, my right speaker developed a horrid distortion/buzzing. I swept a sine wave through it, and it turns out that the 'buzz' started around 220 Hz and got worse and worse and I swept downward in the frequency range.

I went through all the hassles, and luckily for me there was a local service center. BUT, I had to brave LA traffic to/from North Hollywood to get to the shop. A week later, its fixed, and the problem seems to be a design flaw with the voice coil of the woofers, although Adam doesn't admit to this.

Bottom line, I lost a week of work, although at least it was covered under warantee. I know the switch problem is common with these as well... seems like they suffer QC issues/design problems. They do sound great though, when they are working!
Thank you SO much. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who's a "victim" of this. I agree, they do sound great – when they work. The reliability just isn't there. I feel like they'll fall apart any second, or with just the slightest push.

Do you still use yours or have you found a worthy alternative?
Old 11th November 2011 | Show parent
  #93
Lives for gear
 
ttown23's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Studio ➑️
Thank you SO much. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who's a "victim" of this. I agree, they do sound great – when they work. The reliability just isn't there. I feel like they'll fall apart any second, or with just the slightest push.

Do you still use yours or have you found a worthy alternative?
I still use mine, I've had this 2.1 system, with the A7s as satellites and the Sub-8 as a subwoofer for the last 3 years. Thing is, the darn things translate so well, or I wouldn't have put up with the QC issues.

I use the dynaudio BM6as as aux monitors, mostly for mastering (I have this thing about not composing/mixing on the same monitors that I master on).

The Dyns are great, too, but what they have in the bottom end they lack in the highs. That's where the Adams really shine, IMO.
Old 4th March 2013 | Show parent
  #94
Lives for gear
 
boojum's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
OK, everybody in the list has bought their monitors and has been working with them. How did the monitors work out?

I ask because I hope to have been embarrassed for the last time with how the Mackie HR824's translate classical music. I was going to use a pair of AR 2ax speakers with a hafler XL280 but think the better way is to go with a small nearfield such as the Neumann KH 120 A.

How did you folks fare with your monitors?
Old 4th March 2013 | Show parent
  #95
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I love the Neumann KH120As and their soft shell carrying case.

They are my new 'go to' portable speakers to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum ➑️
OK, everybody in the list has bought their monitors and has been working with them. How did the monitors work out?

I ask because I hope to have been embarrassed for the last time with how the Mackie HR824's translate classical music. I was going to use a pair of AR 2ax speakers with a hafler XL280 but think the better way is to go with a small nearfield such as the Neumann KH 120 A.

How did you folks fare with your monitors?
Old 4th March 2013 | Show parent
  #96
Lives for gear
 
judah's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonehenge ➑️
Equator D5 with the optional carrying bag. Just a gem of a little speaker...
Here we go. Late to the party but I too would like to suggest the Equator D5.
Amazing speakers, cheap, light and good sounding.

Heard the KH120 in a shop and they sure sounds amazing. I just couldn't justify the price for my needs.
Old 4th March 2013 | Show parent
  #97
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Couldn't be happier with my KH120As for Classical and Acoustic remotes, and back in my edit room between remotes. Material always seems to translate well when heard on larger systems. Excellent value!
Old 4th March 2013 | Show parent
  #98
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
They sound good on many different styles of music.


Quote:
Originally Posted by njrsound ➑️
Couldn't be happier with my KH120As for Classical and Acoustic remotes, and back in my edit room between remotes. Material always seems to translate well when heard on larger systems. Excellent value!
Old 4th March 2013 | Show parent
  #99
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum ➑️
OK, everybody in the list has bought their monitors and has been working with them. How did the monitors work out?

I ask because I hope to have been embarrassed for the last time with how the Mackie HR824's translate classical music. I was going to use a pair of AR 2ax speakers with a hafler XL280 but think the better way is to go with a small nearfield such as the Neumann KH 120 A.

How did you folks fare with your monitors?
OK.....

I compared the Neumann KH120A with my K+H O110D and found them to be very close - sometimes I slightly preferred one and sometimes the other. So I decided that it was not worth changing to the KH120A.

However, if that was my budget today and I did not already have the O110, I would certainly get the KH120A.

But.....

I decided to go a step better for my location monitors and bought the ME-Geithain RL906 (I did compare the RL906 and KH120A side-by-side). These are almost twice the price of the KH120A but are a well worth the extra. There is also a flight case and carrying bag option for these and I have both.

The other nice thing is that all Geithain monitors sound the same (other than bass extension and a cardioid pattern on the larger units), so that what I hear on location will sound the same on the larger monitors (when I eventually get them). When I listened to the RL906 and the large RL901K side by side I found it difficult to tell which was playing, they are that close.

So, very happy with my choice.
Old 4th March 2013 | Show parent
  #100
Gear Addict
 
isma's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett ➑️
OK.....

I compared the Neumann KH120A with my K+H O110D and found them to be very close - sometimes I slightly preferred one and sometimes the other. So I decided that it was not worth changing to the KH120A.

However, if that was my budget today and I did not already have the O110, I would certainly get the KH120A.

But.....

I decided to go a step better for my location monitors and bought the ME-Geithain RL906 (I did compare the RL906 and KH120A side-by-side). These are almost twice the price of the KH120A but are a well worth the extra. There is also a flight case and carrying bag option for these and I have both.

The other nice thing is that all Geithain monitors sound the same (other than bass extension and a cardioid pattern on the larger units), so that what I hear on location will sound the same on the larger monitors (when I eventually get them). When I listened to the RL906 and the large RL901K side by side I found it difficult to tell which was playing, they are that close.

So, very happy with my choice.
Hi John,
How are the RL906 compare to the KH120 in the lows, are they as good???
I'm very impressed by the bass response on my KH120's although they aren't as linear as the PSI A14-2, the KH120's go much lower. That's the main reason i kept them.

But these RL906 seems to be very interesting...
Old 4th March 2013 | Show parent
  #101
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by isma ➑️
Hi John,
How are the RL906 compare to the KH120 in the lows, are they as good???
I'm very impressed by the bass response on my KH120's although they aren't as linear as the PSI A14-2, the KH120's go much lower. That's the main reason i kept them.

But these RL906 seems to be very interesting...
On paper the RL906 go a couple of Hz lower than the KH120A.

Certainly when I compared them I preferred the RL906, though I wasn't listening specifically for the bass, and the RL906 are quite a bit more than the KH120A.

I use mine for classical music and am very happy with how the RL906 perform.

You can read Hugh Robjohn's SOS review HERE. He is a very critical listener and loved them.

Read the review and then see if you can listen to a pair yourself and then make up your own mind.
Old 4th March 2013 | Show parent
  #102
Gear Addict
 
isma's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett ➑️
On paper the RL906 go a couple of Hz lower than the KH120A.

Certainly when I compared them I preferred the RL906, though I wasn't listening specifically for the bass, and the RL906 are quite a bit more than the KH120A.

I use mine for classical music and am very happy with how the RL906 perform.

You can read Hugh Robjohn's SOS review HERE. He is a very critical listener and loved them.

Read the review and then see if you can listen to a pair yourself and then make up your own mind.
Thanx!
Old 4th March 2013 | Show parent
  #103
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Love my KH120s here. I put them in the soft rolling case that is actually made for the little JBL speakers They fit perfectly and are easy to deal with. I've used them to monitor numerous kinds of music and they've worked for all- give me a good reference that I can take back home to finish post on.

--Ben
Old 5th March 2013 | Show parent
  #104
Lives for gear
 
boojum's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I picked up a pair today at the dreaded "Banjo Corral." I was amazed at the toy size of the KH-120's, I like the pimp light that they have in front and how they look in general. I brought a Tower of Power (Sheffield Labs) and a Robert Shaw Chorale Elijah and some of my stuff. OK, TOP was unimpressive. These speakers do not amaze. But speakers that sound great from the get-go have wound up as ugly after about 30 minutes. And the good ones are boring at first but after that same half hour they are good. They do not fatigue the way cheap speakers will. So, localization is superb. The HR824's are vague as hell. In a complex soundfield it was hard to place instruments on the HR824's but easy with the KH-120's. The Elijah was excellent, too. My mixes? Egads! Man, do I have some work to do. But now I will have a better shot at getting what I want. The detail, localization, neutral sound and non-strained sound is good. I have 30 days to make up my mind. I will be getting a lot of use as I will be doing a lot of remixes. I understand why the have found so many homes here on GS. I will be working in earnest tomorrow as I found a better deal than what "Banjo Corral" was offering and now they have to match it. After that I am doin' the deed.

Once again, thanks for your help and advice.


Cheers

Last edited by boojum; 5th March 2013 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 5th March 2013
  #105
Lives for gear
 
king2070lplaya's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum ➑️
I picked up a pair today at the dreaded "Banjo Corral." I was amazed at the toy size of the KH-120's, I like the pimp light that they have in front and how they look in general. I brought a Tower of Power (Sheffield Labs) and a Robert Shaw Chorale Elijah and some of my stuff. OK, TOP was unimpressive. These speakers do not amaze. But speakers that sound great from the get-go have wound up as ugly after about 30 minutes. And the good ones are boring at first but after that same half hour they are good. They do not fatigue the way cheap speakers will. So, localization is superb. The HR824's are vague as hell. In a complex soundfield it was hard to place instruments on the HR824's but easy with the KH-120's. The Elijah was excellent, too. My mixes? Egads! Man, do I have some work to do. But now I will have a better shot at getting what I want. The detail, localization, neutral sound and non-strained sound is good. I have 30 days to make up my mind. I will be getting a lot of use as I will be doing a lot of remixes. I understand why the have found so many home here on GS. I will be working in earnest tomorrow as I found a better deal than what "Banjo Corral" was offering and now they have to match it. After that I am doin' the deed.

Once again, thanks for your help and advice.


Cheers
Congrats on the buy!!!!!!
Old 6th March 2013 | Show parent
  #106
Lives for gear
 
boojum's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Oh, a good deal always smells so sweet. "Banjo Corral" went along with matching the Internet offer of cables, Mogami, and speaker stands, Ultimate. I had to point out that the Internet offer specified Mogami, not the junk 10' cables they were fobbing off on me. When all done "BC" made the ticket to show full price for the cables, $73 and $168 for the stands and, drum roll, $629 apiece for the KH-120 A's, the total still being 1,499.90. The fellows in Pro Audio never figured that this old fart would do such a thing. They had long faces. I had a smile as I got an effective $240 discount.

After I post this I power down the computer, reverse the outputs on the [email protected] sound card from RCA to TRS, set up the Neumann's and stay up way too late tonight.
Old 6th March 2013 | Show parent
  #107
Lives for gear
 
Don S's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Congrats!
You'll never get tired of a good set of monitors. Glad to hear you know why we are sometimes "hard" on the beloved 824. Now you can make great recordings and save up for a sub so TOP sounds good too!
Old 18th March 2013 | Show parent
  #108
Lives for gear
 
boojum's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
One week later and I am in love with this "toys." They are very good. The bass is amazing and has blown papers across my desk. I thought it was the forced air heat at first. Uh-uhn. These pups put out some great bottom as evidenced not by puffs of air but by the sound. The longer I have them the more I like them. Localization is very good. They translate well, too. I take a mix upstairs and run it through my old but venerable KEF 104/2's and there is not a lot of difference.

You can be sure that these delightful little monitors are staying on my desk. "You can have my monitors when you pry them from my cold, dead fingers."

Thanks Steve Remote, thanks everybody for knowing what to recommend. I'm grooving here. Even Buddha Bar romps on these guys.
Old 18th March 2013 | Show parent
  #109
Lives for gear
 
ISedlacek's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
For few days I have in my studio the nearfield monitors Quested S7R. I like them very much - unusually natural, relaxed, full, extremely detailed and deep sound without any hype whatsoever .. So many modern nearfields sound very sharp and unnatural in highs .... (that I quite don't like), these ones no ...

This was a kind of revelation for me, I finally heard recorded instruments very close to the sound I hear them when playing in the room ... so natural ... for me ideal to take for a remote recording. Will try the big ones (V3110) very soon

Quite a discovery for me ... so I thought to share ...
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 56 views: 17770
Avatar for Critic
Critic 16th December 2003
replies: 163 views: 16676
Avatar for Ethan Winer
Ethan Winer 4th February 2009
replies: 328 views: 154427
Avatar for daslicht
daslicht 2 days ago
replies: 64 views: 25749
Avatar for dickiefunk
dickiefunk 31st August 2018
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump