The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Millenia or DAV BG1 as clean stereo preamp ?
Old 5th August 2021 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin ➡️
All due respect to Mick and David, I don't think anyone should care what mic preamps a 75-year-old guitarist is buying!
Yepp!
I cannot believe what I am reading here in this thread. This sounds nearly like religious war. Are you guys crazy? There are many really high quality preamps available. I talked several times to Mick, too. And he never gave me the impression, that his stuff is the only truth. This is Bull****. There is Forssell, Gordon, Millennia, LakePeople and for sure a lot more, which are also fantastic. And as I wrote before hand: If you can‘t get a great recording out of the mentioned preamps, the issue is somewhere else. Don‘t get me wrong. I really like the DAV stuff. We have 16 channels of their preamps, but I would never ever say, that this is the one and only truth. (BTW. We have 32 channels of Millennia HV3, which I do like even a little better. But this is just my personal preference (and it specs better as well :-))

Last edited by ruby06; 9th August 2021 at 09:14 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
All due respect to Mick and David, I don't think anyone should care what mic preamps a 75-year-old guitarist is buying!
It would appear from your statement that you've decided the 'respect' that's due to Gilmour is zero...by virtue of your age-discriminatory reference ? Should we care more about mic preamps used by 19 year olds....40 year olds ? Not sure what point you're trying to make ?
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
The amount of respect that's due is a little more than the amount you're paying, sonny.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Talking of old guitarists....
If you ever go to British Grove, which is one of the best equipped studios in London, it is awash with DAV pre-amps. Apparently they tried them and loved them, so they bought (and use) quite a few.
Their other gear is a huge Neve console, a vintage EMI TG and an EMI REDD. Mark certainly is a perfectionist and can afford any gear he wants.
Old 8th August 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
And for "clean and British", don't forget Crookwood!
Old 9th August 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn ➡️
The amount of respect that's due is a little more than the amount you're paying, sonny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
It would appear from your statement that you've decided the 'respect' that's due to Gilmour is zero...by virtue of your age-discriminatory reference ? Should we care more about mic preamps used by 19 year olds....40 year olds ? Not sure what point you're trying to make ?
You guys are embarrassing yourselves. I don't know what it is about DAV preamps that attracts such flagrant immaturity and oversensitivity in its devotees, but ... just WOW.

We all lose our ability to hear higher frequencies with age. If you don't know that, then frankly you don't know much about sound and hearing. And that's before we even consider 60 years of playing rock guitar.

David Gilmour is an iconic guitarist and songwriter. As far as I know, he has zero credits as a recording engineer, and I don't think he's even been hired as a producer by anyone except one band that he co-produced in the '90s.

He is a client of recording engineers, and some of the very best have helped him make albums. I would be interested in their opinions about preamps, but not really his. It's not his expertise, and if he weren't famous, he wouldn't even have been mentioned here. I'm impressed that Plush likes DAV preamps. Elderly guitarists, not in the least.

I would bet good money that Mick would agree with this, if he were speaking in confidence. Of course, there is no reason for him to offend Gilmour, why would he?

Do you think being famous means you know about preamps? Is that it?

I mean, what the hell is it that you think you're trying to prove here?

Again, just WOW. People, seriously: grow up.

JSL

Last edited by jslevin; 9th August 2021 at 06:39 AM..
Old 9th August 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Do you think being famous means you know about preamps? Is that it?
Having worked with multiple people on that level. Yes, in the first place they are very interested in sound, which is one reason they've got where they are. They have spent years working with top producers and engineers in the best studios, and you think they have never gained any knowledge, experience and personal opinions on the best gear in all that time?
At that level they are not told what to do by recording engineers. They can record themselves, but prefer to hire someone else to push buttons as they can afford it.
Actually Dave Gilmour does a lot of self recording at his home.

I think you are trying too hard to imagine these people have no interest inn their gear and no clue.
📝 Reply