Quantcast
Genex GX9000 series - anybody else? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Genex GX9000 series - anybody else?
Old 20th May 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Genex GX9000 series - anybody else?

The GX9000 recorders are supposedly being delivered to customers at a slow but steady pace. Mine is due within a week or so and I'd really like to find some other owners to corrrespond with. This is a fairly complex piece of technology, and last I heard, the manual wasn't done yet. So unless you are a helluva lot smarter than I am, we could all use all the help we can get figuring out how to operate these things. And how to configure the drives, the I/O options and a few hundred other things as well. Anybody out there received theirs yet? How about other guys waiting for the Fedex guy to bring yours by? Or are people still sitting on the fence waiting to see how the early machines work out before they place any orders?

I'd be very interested to learn how other folks configured all of the options on their recorders: what drives, how many, which converters, what about those "transition panels", etc.

Well......?

Steve
[email protected]
Old 21st May 2003
Mindreader

๐ŸŽง 15 years
<<< extreeemly interested in this
Old 21st May 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Do you have any idea what the data storage requirement of DSD is?

...how much harddisk space would a 5 minute stereo mix consume in DSD'sville?
Old 21st May 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Do you have any idea what the data storage requirement of DSD is?

I've received this info from Genex but I can't locate it right now. If I remember correctly, DSD burns at a rate very close to 24b/96kHz PCM. You can use any 24b/96kHz PCM burn rate chart to approximate your DSD requirements.

Found it! DSD requires 2.822mb/s for 8 track recording, or 169.32mb/minute. An 18G drive would store 1 hour and 45 minutes of 8ch DSD recordings.

...how much harddisk space would a 5 minute stereo mix consume in DSD'sville?

assuming that I can just divide the 8ch burn rate by 4 to get the stereo burn rate, (169/4 = 42mb/m), a 5 minute stereo mix should require about 210mb of storage space.

When compared to a Fostex chart for 24b/p6kHz PCM recording, the Genex-provided DSD burn rate is a little higher than the 24/96 PCM rate, but the two are close enough that published 24b/96kHz PCM times are still close enough that they can be used for estimating purposes.

steve
[email protected]
Old 21st May 2003

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Steve, I've got one on order and plan to use it in DSD mode on a folk music album this summer. Let's get in touch when we both have the machine in hand and compare notes. Best regards, Rick
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…