Quantcast
Anyone used the new Presonus Live Mixer? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone used the new Presonus Live Mixer?
Old 24th November 2009
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Talking Anyone used the new Presonus Live Mixer?

I just saw this at GC PreSonus seems like it would be great for live recording. Anyone have any experience with this unit??? Thanks in advance for any information or thoughts.
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A friend of mine who does live sound just bought one yesterday. I haven't seen it yet and last I talked to him he was on his way back from picking it up. I'm sure he stayed up all night playing with it so I'll let you know his opinions. But I can tell you his reasoning for buying it: cheap, small, all the normal benefits from digital, in the same realm as an O1V but not as clunky and more features. Now, he's not recording with it so I can't comment on the sound quality - that's not why he bought it. The best price around was from Sound Productions in Dallas, TX.
Old 24th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Tom

I used one for a folk/jazz group recently. Very convenient and well thought out. Used the main output to feed the PA and recorded the firewire outs of each channel The supplied recording application worked well. All in all I think it is excellent value for money.

Larry
Old 24th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I wish i had one to play with ! I found one when looking on my local classifieds that was really cheap only a month old and came with lots of extras. So i looked into them and man are they cool. You can link up to 4 together to create a 54 channel digital board for 8k new! All the firmware updates they have now. the sub group routing options are sweet when linked. One board becomes the master the other the salve board.
Old 25th November 2009 | Show parent
LX3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm not in the market for the desk, but the recording software looks great. I've heard that Presonus have vague plans to develop it into a more comprehensive purpose-designed live recording application. Hope so. And if posting this here helps encourage them to make it happen (hi Rick ), then great.

They're already making a bit of an impression with Studio One it seems.
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Looks like a neat mixer. Since everything hits the A/D converter very early in the signal path - my question is - how good are the converters? If they suck, then the mixer will suck. If they're decent converters, then it look like an appealing mixer.
Old 27th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
How about backup recorders? I don't see ADAT outputs which would be the most convenient way.
Old 27th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkautzsch ➑️
How about backup recorders? I don't see ADAT outputs which would be the most convenient way.
It has DB-25s for direct outs on all the channels. So you could go into what ever you wanted as a backup.

If you have questions the manual can be downloaded from their site. Here is the web address PreSonus
Old 28th November 2009 | Show parent
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopthomas ➑️
A friend of mine who does live sound just bought one yesterday. I haven't seen it yet and last I talked to him he was on his way back from picking it up. I'm sure he stayed up all night playing with it so I'll let you know his opinions. But I can tell you his reasoning for buying it: cheap, small, all the normal benefits from digital, in the same realm as an O1V but not as clunky and more features. Now, he's not recording with it so I can't comment on the sound quality - that's not why he bought it. The best price around was from Sound Productions in Dallas, TX.
Thomas,

What was Sound Productions' best price?

I'm seriously considering getting a couple of these puppies.
Old 28th November 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I have the Presonus Studio Live

I bought this unit 2 months ago at GC with a very nice road case. The unit and case out the door was $1,800.

I own a Gospel record label and will use the unit for recording live performances. I have a macbook pro (using logic) along with an Alesis HD24 to record the session. The Studiolive comes with a recording software package called Capture. Literally after launching the program, there are 4 mouse clicks and you can record all channels. Later you can export into most any program for editing. Although the unit has 16 slider, you have 23 inputs, along with a high pass filter, compressor, limiter, expander gate, 4 band semi-parametric EQ and reverb all assignable to any channel using their "Fat Channel" feature.

There are some great videos on Presus's website and on Youtube. This is a great unit for the money and is very quiet. I would highly recommend it.

My next challenge is to decide which mic to use to record the choirs. I've been looking at the AKG 414's. I'm open to any suggestions for good high quality vocal mics for recording lead and background vocals.

This is my first post, so be nice!

Thanks,
Phillip
Old 29th November 2009 | Show parent
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Welcome to the forum Phillip.

Nice report for your first post.

Please consider starting a new thread about your next challenge or you can click on the various popular tags or search through the many choir mic threads we have in this forum.

This really isn't the right thread to start discussing choir mics and such.

I look forward to reading more posts from you in the coming months ahead.
Old 30th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Hey Phillip, thanks for posting your comments. Was also curious like a previous poster about the preamps. What do they sound like?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The project I used one for was in a folk club with an audience so it was not a pristine venue by any means. However, I was very happy with the end result, that has now been released and the DVD is in the final stage of editing.

Larry
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Hey Larry, just realised you are from Auckland - I think you know my husband Andy Craig... ?

Gilli
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sure Do! Very Well
Old 1st December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thought so!

come up to our workshop for a cup of tea next time you are in Wellington !!

Gilli
Old 21st January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Apparently there is a 24 channel version now...
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopthomas ➑️
Apparently there is a 24 channel version now...

Announced at NAMM PreSonus Unveils StudioLive 24.4.2 Digital Mixer - PreSonus - 2010-01-15 | Harmony-Central.com

PreSonus

Here is the cost PreSonus StudioLive 24.4.2 24-Channel Live Performance & Recording Digital Mixer | RMCAudioDirect

The 16 input cost approximately $125 per channel while the 24 input cost approximately $137 per channel. FWIW
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I did notice the huge price jump, and it's too bad. Kind of puts it in league with a used LS9-16 (add an 8 channel preamp and you're at 24 channels). Only the LS9 has graphics on all the outputs, motorized faders, expandable with MY cards... My friend who recently bought the StudioLive 16 is now selling it to get the 24. I'm sure I'll check it out once he gets it so I'll report back.
Old 22nd January 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I doubt a used LS9-16 would drop in value enough to go down to the value of a new StudioLive 24. A new LS9-16 here is $9500 retail, had for $5995 street price if you know people, $8000 street if you don't, the StudioLive is around $4000, I'd doubt the LS9-16 would get as low as that.
Old 12th February 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Not to sidetrack this thread but I was under the impression that the ls9 was primarily a FOH/reinforcement board have you guys found that it works well for location recording as well? I am curious because I have access the the 32 channel version of the board but I always assumed that it wouldn't sound good when recorded.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I know nothing about the sound of functionality of this unit, but I would just like to take a second that it looks freaking beautiful
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by david335 ➑️
Not to sidetrack this thread but I was under the impression that the ls9 was primarily a FOH/reinforcement board have you guys found that it works well for location recording as well? I am curious because I have access the the 32 channel version of the board but I always assumed that it wouldn't sound good when recorded.
All my live recordings using the LS9 and adat card have sounded excellant so far. It particulary likes condenser microphones, my best results have came from them.
Old 15th February 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcoates ➑️
... along with a high pass filter, compressor, limiter, expander gate, 4 band semi-parametric EQ and reverb all assignable to any channel using their "Fat Channel" feature.
Hi Phillip,

just wondering, does this mean that only one channel can access all these dynamics and eqs. or do all 16 mono inputs have their own set of dynamics, eqs and filters?

havnt been able to work this out from reading reviews or the website

cheers,

Jude
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Each channel has its own.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
So glad we waited for the 24.4.2 we will be ordering her soon they are suppose to be shipping Q2 april-may heh

Main differences are 4 stereo graphic EQ's and more space so its has a 4 band fully parametric EQ and the comp, limiter are seperated and the noise gate has freq gating thumbsup
πŸ“ Reply