Quantcast
HD24 strange glitch-like noise - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
HD24 strange glitch-like noise
Old 24th November 2009
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Question HD24 strange glitch-like noise

I was out on a gig tonight, and after setting levels I noticed this almost jitter-like popping sound. I recorded a clip of it just to make sure it wasn't my ears playing tricks on me. And yes its there. I solo'd each mike, and it appeared on all channels, although at different levels. To me, this meant it couldn't have been microphone, preamp, or cable failure... it would never occur at exactly the same time across multiple tracks. However, the HD24 was the only digital device running (at 48kHz/24bit with internal clocking) so it can't be jitter... not to mention the clips were 30 seconds apart and not at even intervals... (30 secs to 10 minutes without one)

After importing the files into PT, there is a tiny tiny spike in the waveform, 3 samples in length. What makes it even more odd, is that the phenomonon stopped occurring after an HD24 reboot.

Any thoughts?
Old 29th November 2009
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Any ideas on this one?
Old 29th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for snowflakes

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I would suspect a hard drive, but...

I CAN tell you this:

As the owner of an HD24, I HAVE occasionally had weird unexplained problems crop up.

They have been few and far between, and strangely enough, they seldom repeat themselves!
Old 29th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
You can bring it by our place Tempe and try clocking it off our AD16x. I've had similar problems running remote in the past where even with a single digital unit, it sounded way too much like jitter to rule it out completely although that was across all tracks simultaneously. Almost ruined a great take.
๐Ÿ“ Reply