mkh 416 vs sanken cs-3e vs mkh60 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
mkh 416 vs sanken cs-3e vs mkh60
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Question mkh 416 vs sanken cs-3e vs mkh60

Looking for your opinion on these mics.
application is mainly location recording/interview camera sound for documentary film
thanks
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you are considering the Sennheisers the 8050 is also a good candidate. In noisy city environments the 416 can distort with additional dialogue. The 8050 has a higher spl and a more natural sound quality. It is more sensitive to wind though.
Old 22nd November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sanken is The Mic for video and film work at least. It is not a normal hypercardioid or short shotgun, but a linear array of three capsules. I have used one for several years and have no complaints at all.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Smile

The MKH 60 is a better mic. than the 416 and about 10 years younger.

The 60 has a symmetrical capsule (like the MKH 20-50 series and MKH 8000 series) - the 416 does not have a symmetrical capsule.

All above are RF condenser mics which give excellent results in damp conditions as the capsule is low impedance and is used as a tuning capacitor - rather than a very high impedance capsule (like normal AF condensers) where the stored charge can leakj away on water molecules in the air, causing noise, "frying" and clicks.
Old 22nd November 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
The sennheiser 60 and 416 are great mics, I have used both and lean towards a preference for the 416. I have just bought a Sanken CS3E however and so far am very impressed. Its noise specs may be slightly higher than the sennheisers but this is NOT a concern. The mics off axis rejection is amazing and works across the frequency spectrum. It still manages to sound natural and has good reach. This will be my main shotgun from now on.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Looks like the Sanken transducer is DC biased while the Sennheiser shotguns all have RF transducers. For high humidity environments a Sennheiser will be more reliable.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
As I Hear It - Choosing the Right Microphone

shotguns and hypercardioids for video compared
πŸ“ Reply