The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is there a proper way to run and gaff different types of cables?
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Question Is there a proper way to run and gaff different types of cables?

Hey guys,

Any thoughts?
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Keep your audio cables away from you power cables and away from any dimmers or lights. High power can mess with the best shielded cable. Other than that....find the place the least amount of people are going to cross it and make the most direct run. Gaff it tight. If you really want to be safe, sometimes I put a couple strips of brightly colored spike tape across the gaffed area to alert people of a "bump in the stage".

Howie J
Old 22nd November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've never read instructions to find out what the proper way is, though I've found sticky side down seems to work best...

depending on the cable run, sometime just tabs will do, doorways i might cover with 2 or 3 widths, some runs i might employ the "traintracks" - little H shaped pieces. it really depends on what each situation calls for.

white or hi vis stripes can be good... even just to mark the hump if using carpet squares/marley to cover cables

then there's the types.. the Nashua 357 is popular here in OZ though it can be a little heavy duty, and can leave residue, damage paint/varnish/carpet etc

the Pro Gaff cloth style gaff is popular with the US crews that come through (Nash does a version too) tends to be less sticky and not leave residue so i like using it for backline applications etc. (it's also a lot more expensive)
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Two different reasons for taping down cables: Safety and Neatness. One is imperative (if you do not relish being sued) and the other is a really good thing to keep clients happy.

For safety, I tape AC connections to the wall (would that there were locking options in general use in USA on anything but 30A receptacles); spike all cables (short - 6-8" - strips crossing the run to hold them in place); and cover all runs that cross aisles or doorways with carpet mats. If the area is high-traffic, I'll also tape the edges of the mats. If it's a snake, I'll use white stripes of console tape to mark the "hump" down the middle. The mats came to be as about ten years ago, most of the hotels in which I do AV production disallowed ANY tape on their carpets. Because of three cameras requiring 14- and 26-pin CCU cable, I immediately had to acquire about 150' of carpet runner. It has since been replaced with a selection of 3x4' and 4x6' rubber-backed mats. Much quicker and, replacing tape from $18 rolls of gaff, eventually less expensive.

For beauty, on a finished stage I spike all the cable and sub-snake runs, and cover the transit points with mats if there's time... and there's always a couple of minutes to at least gather and spike all the cables that don't move. Drummers really like it when they arrive and the 4x6 rubber-backed mat is ready for their kit. FWIW, spare mats also make decent gobos for open-backed guitar amps.

If it's just a location recording gig, I tape all the safety issue bits, and, depending on time and the client, make it as pretty as possible.

AC is usually no problem unless they are side-by-side with dimmer runs (i.e., on a truss with lights and PA feed in the same aluminum trough). Good idea to not ever go side-by-side if you can avoid it... crossing power runs at right angles works best... but there is usually no problem.

YMMV, and the venue's grounding gremlins are always to be dealt with.

HB
Old 23rd November 2009 | Show parent
LX3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbphotoav ➑️
AC is usually no problem unless they are side-by-side with dimmer runs (i.e., on a truss with lights and PA feed in the same aluminum trough).
Yup - a very real problem. Ran into that a few weeks ago. Nice-looking small venue built by enthusiasts who unfortunately hadn't thought things thru, and ran lighting power, control, and analog multicore all in the same aluminium trough high on the walls. Add their dodgy grounding arrangements and the PA was stuck with a random low-level buzz on random channels. Not bad enough for anyone to worry about in the PA, but a potential problem when recording.

Another reason why I prefer recording near stage instead of near FOH - more control over how your cables are run.

On the subject of taping cables, suspending cables may be an option - especially worth it if you need to cross doorways, or any area where crew are loading in/out. Audience/crew can't trip over cables, or run heavy flightcases over them if they're above their heads.

It can be time-consuming to rig. But then so is taping down yards of cable, and taking that tape up afterwards. It's a judgement call... sometimes a difficult one.
Old 30th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Talking

this belongs here.
Attached Thumbnails
Is there a proper way to run and gaff different types of cables?-24112009.jpg  
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook recommends NOT running line level signals in the opposite direction of the mic signals on the same snake (i.e. monitor aux outs going to their amps located on the side of the stage). Crosstalk can create feedback. I have never experienced it, and snakes have returns all the time, but it does make sense.

Use a separate snake for line-level signals. Like power cables, make 90 degree crossings of line and mic cables. Or don't. What do I care?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Somebody framed that picture wrong. I want to see what's to the left.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopthomas ➑️
A mannequin with a hoof??

Howie J
LX3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enginearing ➑️
this belongs here.
Ha ha, yes, that's awful. The classic situation where it's better to go "over" rather than "around".
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enginearing ➑️
this belongs here.
Quote:

Yeah, what about that mannequin?
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LX3 ➑️
Ha ha, yes, that's awful. The classic situation where it's better to go "over" rather than "around".
Exactly what I was thinking.
LX3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You know you've been doing this job too long when a mannequin starts to look hot, and you wonder if you can get her phone number.

(Mind you, I haven't seen her face yet.)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That's what I get for using my iPhone to view photos. Maybe it's time for glasses...
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Talking about viewing photos; did you get the jpg I sent you?

Quote:
That's what I get for using my iPhone to view photos. Maybe it's time for glasses...
πŸ“ Reply