Quantcast
Sound Devices 702 vs Tascam HD-P2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sound Devices 702 vs Tascam HD-P2
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Question Sound Devices 702 vs Tascam HD-P2

I want a CF recorder. Oade Bros "claims" their mod sounds better than the Sound Devices (how they define better, I'm not quite sure). Of course, SD says, it's much better all around. I'm using it for orchestra recordings. I'm not looking to flash that I have a SD recorder, I just want something to replace my Oade Bros modified DAT recorder (which I'm pleased with), but, don't want to buy tape anymore and there are some instances where I will desire higher sampling rates. Time code is not that important for me.

Second question is this....actually.....I'll post it as a seperate question. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I have SD recorders. I bought them because they are rugged and sound good. I know I can count on them to work. I had a pair of 722's linked together which fell off a table and about three or four feet to the floor while they were running. Fortunately it was before the concert but neither missed a beat. I know that when I push "Record" on the machine that is what is going to happen.

The sound is clean and neutral to me. You should be able to pick up a good used one at a good price. I have never regretted buying mine.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by supoUSA ➡️
I want a CF recorder. Oade Bros "claims" their mod sounds better than the Sound Devices (how they define better, I'm not quite sure). Of course, SD says, it's much better all around. I'm using it for orchestra recordings. I'm not looking to flash that I have a SD recorder, I just want something to replace my Oade Bros modified DAT recorder (which I'm pleased with), but, don't want to buy tape anymore and there are some instances where I will desire higher sampling rates. Time code is not that important for me.

Second question is this....actually.....I'll post it as a seperate question. Thanks for the feedback.
I have both. Get the SD recorder. The HPD2 is a good machine but you get what you pay for. The Oades have never been willing to talk about what their mods are or how they alter spec, they only do them to new machines (so you don't get to compare before and after on your own) and their mods void your Tascam warranty. Sound Devices continues to upgrade the firmware of the 7XX series (new v. yesterday, 2.65),
and the 702 is very useful in the field as a clock and TC generator/reader and meter display even if you never recorded on it. SD is always just a phone call away for any questions or help. The 702 can record to an external HD or DVDRAM drive in addition to its CF card. Tascam has not released a new firmware for the HDP2 in years and they are impossible to deal with on the phone. If you only have $900 or so the HDP2 is a great deal. If you have more money ($2600) get the 702T.

Philip Perkins
Old 20th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Gotta agree with Phil; if at all possible get the Sound Devices.

With that said I have the Tascam and am I very happy with it (the guy I got from sold it really cheap to quickly turn around & buy a 744). I only get it out once a month or so to grab the odd sound effect or youth orchestra demo.
Old 20th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Curiously I saw the Oade Bros. site listing upgrades and was interested in getting my Tascam HD-P2 modified:

Upgrade your Digital Recorder

They list a $185 basic, $185 Transperant, $300 super & a $325 HD.
📝 Reply