Compromising with FOH - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Compromising with FOH
Old 8th May 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Compromising with FOH

Hey all,

How do you deal with the FOH guy? Who makes the call regarding mics and mic placement? Most of the time, I am the FOH guy as well as recording, or it's an acoustic performance, so it's usually not too much of a problem, but every once in a blue moon I'll have to end up putting a second mic on some stuff. While most musicians don't mind because they know it's for a recording, some people don't like the extra clutter.

Then there are issues like feedback, too much PA because he's deaf , etc.

So how do you handle the situation?

-Dave
Old 9th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
insist that you either have a PA guy you can trust, or that the client knows what impact the one night PA show will have on a project that is around forever.

The real key is simply people skills, and being able to get your way and make someone else feel like it is in thier best interests, or better yet, that it was thier idea
Old 9th May 2003
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Smith
insist that you either have a PA guy you can trust, or that the client knows what impact the one night PA show will have on a project that is around forever.

The real key is simply people skills, and being able to get your way and make someone else feel like it is in thier best interests, or better yet, that it was thier idea
I just had exactly this situation.

I told the client I wanted to supply the PA rig and crew or the recording was going to cost him more and I wouldn't be able to guarantee the results. I put a firm in that I knew I could rely on and that if there were any problems I could get on the console myself without arguements and sort things out. Also gave me total control of mic choice, though this didn't need to be esoteric.

Regards

Roland
Old 19th May 2003
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Take a good look at their teeth... heh

I usually talk to the sound engineer and figure out what's best. Most of the time I like to go with what the bands people decided, unless it doesn't sound right in the truck. Sometimes, we just double mic the channels we're not happy with.

You should be concern what the "extra clutter" people think when they're the client. Anyone else should speak to your client.

Don't worry if you get a little feedback, on your recording -- that's one thing you will not need to overdub later. heh

Oh, I would deal with that situation, just like Steve Smith said.
Old 20th May 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Well we deal with both, not every show but on a great deal of them. You deal with it like a pro and work with each other. The FOH guy has a job to do as well and that's bring the people the sound. I don't know who you work with but I will tell you this, if you are having feedback problems then I doubt it's a national sound provider. If it's not then go to the guy and show him how to ring out and tune his monitor rig, set his crossover points, independent EQ & compression, you know what I mean, lol. It sounds like you must know about this stuff so go for it, haha. I'll tell you this you wont see that crap on one of my shows.

Peace,

Dann H.

P.S. A couple of other good sites for all you web junkies out there.
www.recording.org
www.prosoundweb.com
Both are under new management I hear.
Old 20th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Re: Compromising with FOH

Dave,

Sometimes I'm the FOH guy, or the recording gy, or the event producer.

In my experience, it's hardly an issue. Use the best mics for the job, and if there's a debate, use both! If you can't use both, use the best mic.

As a FOH guy, I don't have a problem with a visiting engineer requesting a different mic - so long as it goes thru soundcheck.
Old 20th May 2003
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan H.
Well we deal with both, not every show but on a great deal of them. You deal with it like a pro and work with each other. The FOH guy has a job to do as well and that's bring the people the sound. I don't know who you work with but I will tell you this, if you are having feedback problems then I doubt it's a national sound provider. If it's not then go to the guy and show him how to ring out and tune his monitor rig, set his crossover points, independent EQ & compression, you know what I mean, lol. It sounds like you must know about this stuff so go for it, haha. I'll tell you this you wont see that crap on one of my shows.
All good points! But when you get a sound guy doing FOH, who only has the job because he was with the band before they got signed (and I've seen this several times) or someone that really just isn't that good. Possibly 50% of full time engineers out there are competent and maybe 10% are really any good. Given a poor room and a not so good band you can have problems. This coupled with peoples ego's there is always the potential for "difficult" situations. Even if the FOH engineer is not very good there could be real problems if you want to lay your hands on his monitors to sort them out. I've seen plenty of major national companies rigs where there have been issues, they do not always have sway on who will be operating.

Personally I don't like "ringing out" monitors unless there are severe problems. more often than not you can end up with lumpy sounding monitors that have an adverse effect on FOH, Recording (if applicable) and worse of all intelligability. Good, smooth clear sound helps all concerned.

I would love to think that every show I work on I will be working with true pro's and usually thats what happens, but you have to be realistic and as such I personally think Steve's comment about people skills is very true.

Regards

Roland
Old 23rd May 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I guess I'm still a small fish, but most of the time when I do a live recording, *I'm* doing FOH, monitors and the recording. I also have done it all by my lonesome several times, though it's much easier when I have a helper!

But then, I'm at the "very small club" level...and I think I'd just as soon stay here for a while rather than play in the big leagues. A lot less stress! I've been on bigger shows, but I let the big boys be in charge then.

-GRW
Old 23rd May 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Great picture GreGrw! You have got the right idea. Many times I have done both my my lonesome. Maybe a tech on hand. Keep that good attitude and you'll do just great in this business no matter what level you work on. BTW, how did that happen? the pic?

Cheers,

Dann H.
Old 23rd May 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Thanks! Do you have a site or something? I don't know if you're a "Big Boy" in da biz...for all I know, you could be a world-famous engineer! I suppose that's how anonymous the Internet is.

As for the pic, and how it happened: I was looking for an avatar, and there it was! :-)

Seriously, I have no idea from whence it came, but it seemed pretty cool to me. The "N.O.M.A.D.mobile" is a black Subaru wagon, so I suppose it looks kinda like the unfortunate vehicle in the pool
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…