Still need clarification on video sync - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Still need clarification on video sync
Old 13th September 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Question Still need clarification on video sync

Ok, still a bit confused about syncing my live rig to video. I ran across the motu mtp av, which can accept blackburst and convert to MTC for my PT LE rig.

Will this be accurate over 2hrs of show time?

Is the mtp av all i need?

Originally I was planning on getting both the mtp av and an isochrone ocx v.
Old 13th September 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
my feeling is that i need to feed the OCX V blackburst, then send all my digital units word clock.

then, i feed the MTP AV VTC and convert that to MTC for protools LE.

Is that right?

I just want to make sure i spend my money wisely, its going to be a 2500 dollar investment if I have to get both units. I was hoping to get some API's this year, but I will probably have to wait if i need both units.... :(
Old 13th September 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I would check these before purchasing:

Home - AJA Video - Serial Digital Video Interface and Conversion
and
Blackmagic Design
Old 13th September 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
No videotruck will be able to give you vitc.. (timecode in videosignal)
You need something to convert blackburst to wordclock, and something to convert ltc to mtc (if your daw cannot read ltc)
Old 14th September 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
When working with video, normally the video people will provide you with:
-ltc, on xlr
-Blackburst/video reference on bnc..

If you want to be professional and have sample accurate sync audio, your wordclock needs to be referenced to video ref..

However, it is for sure possible to just sync your daw to ltc and use internal wordclock..
Not the professional way to do it, but I have seen major audiotrucks work this way..
(I would never do it, although I've done it once on a major DVD recording as a last minute problem solution and have never received complaints)
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Normally our main recorder's wordclock is referenced to video (black) via a Brainstorm DCD-8 w/ VSG-4 card, but run the second (back-up) recorder without it's wordclock referencing video. The machine's internal wordclock is in use, just as an additional fail safe even though the DCD-8 never bagged us. I just want that machine completely independent to the main system.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A cheap solution to achieve LTC >MTC and Black>WC with a single machine is to use a Digidesign Universal Slave Driver, which I did in one opera shoot where I was fed both by the national broadcasting TV video truck. It worked OK, but as Steve Remote pointed out above, I'd leave my backup completely separate from the main clock (it's easier to resync something than to work with no audio at all because the Black or TC signal form the truck was interrupted...), and if I'd have to choose I'd prefer to use just video black, as Timecode shot onstage is useless once video is edited in post (so does audio), even though is an added reference.

Hope this helps
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
alright, i ended up going with a big ben as the ocx v was back ordered. i am aware of the issue with the big ben and the "sure-lock" not working correctly. i decided the workaround is doable for me. the big ben was almost a thousand dollars cheaper and it allowed me to squeeze in a few channels of api pres as well.

thanks to everyone for their input. good to be a part of such a slutty community. :D
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
I wish you would have tried the DCD-8 w/ VSG-4 card.
I know you would have kept it.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
i don't doubt that it is a great piece. your insight is highly valued by me. unfortunately, the retailer that i have a long standing relationship with doesn't carry it. that was the biggest factor in my decision.
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Loyalty is a big part of any relationship!
Old 16th September 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by therecordinghous ➑️
Ok, still a bit confused about syncing my live rig to video. I ran across the motu mtp av, which can accept blackburst and convert to MTC for my PT LE rig.

Will this be accurate over 2hrs of show time?

Is the mtp av all i need?

Originally I was planning on getting both the mtp av and an isochrone ocx v.
It's been a while since I've used the MTP AV, but I believe this is correct: resolve the MTP to video black, then lock your PT LE system to the s/pdif dig output from the MTP. Take the production timecode into the MTP and it'll convert it to MTC for your PT rig.

Not the most stable setup, but probably the most cost effective for an LE rig.
Old 16th September 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
as stated in my post above. the big ben will be handling black. the MTP will only be used to translate LTC from the video deck to MTP.
πŸ“ Reply