Video Sync, How Important? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Video Sync, How Important?
Old 23rd August 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Question Video Sync, How Important?

I have an Isochrone OCX as my master clock for my multitrack setup, would positional reference be enough (LTC)? Or, would you grab sync from the video decks.

I kinda wish I would have bought the OCX-V. :(
Old 23rd August 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
if you aren't getting black burst sync or master clock from the video master along with their LTC, you are eventually screwed. Do it properly during the recording and eliminate future problems in post. Maybe you won't be dealing with it, but the folks who do will also be cursing you and the producers will remember you in an unkind manner especially if you try to bid their next job.
Old 23rd August 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
yeah, i was just reading about the possibility of rigs going out of record if the clock isnt stable enough. looks like i am going to have to spend $2000 on another clock.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you aim to do this professionally, you need videoref.. You'll survive without it, chances are noone in post will notice the lack of it (they'll lay back audio per song most likely, so no real chance of drift).. But I personally would never ever not sync to video, as i'm a professional and want to keep having work for the next 15 years
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
do you guys think the big ben would do it? it looks like it has video sync in. its quite a bit cheaper than the isochrone ocx v.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I heard the Isochrome Trinity combined with their 10m at the NAB show in Vegas. It sounded incredibly clear and defined. Even when compared to their other clocks on the same source material. Very impressive if you can afford it. There is a more focused dimensional quality of sound, hard to explain. If you are in the Santa Monica area, stop by their showroom and listen through Barefoots.
They are cool folks.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
i think the isochrone, which i have, sounds great. i just need to lock to external video clock. which somewhat defeats the purpose of having a nice clock anyway.
Old 24th August 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by therecordinghous ➑️
do you guys think the big ben would do it? it looks like it has video sync in. its quite a bit cheaper than the isochrone ocx v.
WRT the Big Ben, please take a look at Koosters thread here

I would tend to agree with Huub and John, but one thing to be aware of is the need for fault tolerant sync. I can't tell you how many times I've had some video engineer hose me on sync by pulling or switching my video or burst during a recording.
Any generator I would consider purchasing today would need to seamlessly sync and freewheel.

All the best,
-mark
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
the OCX-V is about all i can afford at the moment. that should do the trick should it not?

guess my api's will have to wait. :(
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
did you consider
Video Sync Generator - Syncrogenius
πŸ“ Reply