Quantcast
splitter snake (where to buy) - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
splitter snake (where to buy)
Old 18th April 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
splitter snake (where to buy)

I need a 16+ channel splitter snake. I'm in no hurry (now) but I would like to know where to get a decent deal. They seem to be fairly costly for my budget (next to nothing) I'm hoping to land a client who will buy one for payment of a project maybe. Any advice on nice ones? Can you point em out?
Old 19th April 2003
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Give me a call and I can set you straight with your splitter needs.
We can even talk about it face to face if you come to visit us at the Orpheum tomorrow 4/20/03...

Remember, you got a few options...

You can buy new, buy used or just build your own.
Old 21st April 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Geez, thanks for letting me know the next time you come to Boston! :-)

-GRW
Old 21st April 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I assume your talking to Steve?
Old 21st April 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Yup. And I was totally kidding, as I hope I conveyed...

-GRW
Old 21st April 2003
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Man, it would have been awesome to see you guys there.

Greg, next time around, I will try to post it before we head for Boston.

Hey, did you figure out your splitter needs, 'cause I didn't hear from you?

The White Strips show was wild! Jack's a really nice guy. His production manager / FOH guy, Matthew Kettle also was completely charming and 100% professional.

But more on that in another thread...
Old 23rd April 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hey, did you figure out your splitter needs, 'cause I didn't hear from you?
Nope, I just know that I need one. I'm not in a big rush to get one. I think I'm buying a new Preamp today. That will be a big purchase for the mean time. I'm still looking for suggestions though...
Old 23rd April 2003
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Like I mentioned earlier, call me directly and I will be able to assist you with your needs...
Old 29th April 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I'm thinkin' I'm going to build one. Actually, 2 x 8 channel 3 way boxes. To help spread out the cost, I'm just going to start with a non-iso passive split, and add transformers later (I almost choked when I looked up Jensen's prices!).

The thing is, it'd be nice if I could use them as line level splits too. This isn't a problem without the transformers, but it looks like it would be with them, right? Is there any easy way around this?

Markertek sells an empty rack chassis, so I think I might either use that, or one of those UCP systems - I see them everywhere, but I can't remember what they're called. It's basically a chassis with no front or rear covers, or an empty panel, and they sell pre-punched panels to fill them. That might make it easier to add DB25 or Whirlwind connectors if I decide to do so later. If I do go the empty chassis route, does anyone know how many Neutrik D series XLRs will fit across 1 rack space?

Thanks!

-Dave
Old 2nd May 2003
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
We will be building a few 12 channel splitters. I have a bunch of UTC and Jensen transformers from older splitter designs we used. I plan to build a few 2 X 12 and 3 X 12 boxes with DT12 multipin connectors. That's a TV / Video truck standard (I believe) ABC TV pioneered. Originally Canon made the FK connectors. Now Whirlwind and others manufacture the same pin configuration. It was named DT12 by Whirlwind USA.

My new (little) splitters shall have male and female XLRs for the primary side of the transformer plus a combination of male XLRs and DT12s for the secondary side. Ground lifts on each output and a solo button for monitoring the channel and/or inserting a tone generator or microphone to each input when no mics are patched in. This is great when you want to do a line check of your snake and system, but the inputs have not been plugged in yet. Or when you want to monitor the channel on stage. I built a similar system in the early 80's. It worked great. I cannot wait to build the new ones.

Dave, when you said "2 x 8 channel 3 way boxes" did you really mean 3 X 8, 3 way box? As you may already know, the three in 3 X 8 represents the amount of splits and the eight stands for the amount of inputs.

I think its a great idea - Just starting out with a non-ISO passive split (Y's in a box) and adding transformers later. Make sure you have the room and placement correct for the future XFMRs. Consider making the area larger then the transformer you want to place in there. You may find a batch of XFMRs that are larger then the Jensens you originally wanted.

You can add a few channels of line level XFMRs in there or just add a few Sescom IL19 barrels on the outputs of you non-ISO split. Extra tie lines in a mic splitter is an awesome idea. On our medium sized passive splitter, we have 40 - 2way mic splits and 12 tie lines that can be used for anything you want to use. Need more mic splits? - Add a individual splits. Need line level patched? - Just plug it in. What about COMM? - We patch it in to the highest numbered tieline channel, which is channel 52 in this system.

We have a color code for most of our splitters.
Black XLRs = mic inputs.
Blue XLRs = mic and/or line level tie lines.
Red XLRs = auxilary tie lines (usually) used as auxillary channels like foldback, studio feeds, comm, 2mix, even SMPTE timecode.

I have used the Middle Atlantic Product's UCP systems. I like them very much for panels and such. I have their rack mount boxes with UCP fronts in stock for future projects. If you plan to have the splitter in a rack, the UCP system can work well for you. Whirlwind and others made really nice stage boxes. You can buy them with the right amount of holes for your XLRs. I have used them and added UCP plates to add additional multipins and stuff. We modified the stock boxes to our needs. You can do the same.

We sell and stock many products. Whirlwind, Middle Atlantic Products, and many other produces are available through my company, Aura Sonic Ltd. I don't think this is the right place to promote and/or sell the product lines we carry, so this will be the first and last time I mention it...

Dave, the UCP system by Middle Atlantic is a 2 space system, with five panels. Each panel can have 1 to 6 XLRs. Many other types of connectors can be mounted in the pre punched panels. ELCO, DSUB, HUBBLE, BNC, etc., can be added to the system. Middle Atlantic makes a 1 space XLR rack, but it only has a tray. It's not a boxed unit. It have 16 XLR holes, that must be punched out before you can install the XLRs.

We just installed a 2 space UCP and a 1 space 16 XLR panel to the back of my PA mic pre/EQ rack. That rack has 8 ATI Pro6s and 4 Midas XL42s for a total of 16 channels of goodness. This rack is part of a bigger system that interconnects to our new portable "flypack" system and the new Expando truck.

I may consider a tour of our facility, so many of you can see and play with some of the stuff we built and use. If enough buzz about this happens, I will consider doing it. It's up to you folks...

Start another thread and add you names to the list if you want to make this so.
Old 2nd May 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
snakes

Hi. After years of doing both live and studio recordings, Whirlwind continues to make the splitter snakes that always do the job. (I don't work for them). You need transformer isolated snakes, usually with three outputs (one of which is a direct 'pass thru' output) for each input. Best to get ground lifters on each output. You can build your own, but it takes a long time, and the transformers get expensive. Good luck.
Old 2nd May 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Hey Steve,

Thanks for the tips! I didn't think Middle Atlantic made a chassis either, but I saw it in the Markertek catalog while looking for parts. It looks to be about 10" deep, and holds 5 panels on the front, as well as 5 on the back.

I can't remember if someone here pointed me to it, or if I stumbled upon it, but Bill Whitlock - the king of transformers - wrote a white paper about mic splitters. It's on their webpage:

http://www.jensentransformers.com/apps_wp.html

Thanks for mentioning that you sell stuff too - I understand that you want to keep all commercials out of the forum, but I'm glad to know.

-Dave
Old 2nd May 2003
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the Jensen link...

It's an excellent read!
Old 28th December 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Doing the splits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness ➑️
We will be building a few 12 channel splitters. I have a bunch of UTC and Jensen transformers from older splitter designs we used. I plan to build a few 2 X 12 and 3 X 12 boxes with DT12 multipin connectors. That's a TV / Video truck standard (I believe) ABC TV pioneered. Originally Canon made the FK connectors. Now Whirlwind and others manufacture the same pin configuration. It was named DT12 by Whirlwind USA.

My new (little) splitters shall have male and female XLRs for the primary side of the transformer plus a combination of male XLRs and DT12s for the secondary side. Ground lifts on each output and a solo button for monitoring the channel and/or inserting a tone generator or microphone to each input when no mics are patched in. This is great when you want to do a line check of your snake and system, but the inputs have not been plugged in yet. Or when you want to monitor the channel on stage. I built a similar system in the early 80's. It worked great. I cannot wait to build the new ones.

Dave, when you said "2 x 8 channel 3 way boxes" did you really mean 3 X 8, 3 way box? As you may already know, the three in 3 X 8 represents the amount of splits and the eight stands for the amount of inputs.

I think its a great idea - Just starting out with a non-ISO passive split (Y's in a box) and adding transformers later. Make sure you have the room and placement correct for the future XFMRs. Consider making the area larger then the transformer you want to place in there. You may find a batch of XFMRs that are larger then the Jensens you originally wanted.

You can add a few channels of line level XFMRs in there or just add a few Sescom IL19 barrels on the outputs of you non-ISO split. Extra tie lines in a mic splitter is an awesome idea. On our medium sized passive splitter, we have 40 - 2way mic splits and 12 tie lines that can be used for anything you want to use. Need more mic splits? - Add a individual splits. Need line level patched? - Just plug it in. What about COMM? - We patch it in to the highest numbered tieline channel, which is channel 52 in this system.

We have a color code for most of our splitters.
Black XLRs = mic inputs.
Blue XLRs = mic and/or line level tie lines.
Red XLRs = auxilary tie lines (usually) used as auxillary channels like foldback, studio feeds, comm, 2mix, even SMPTE timecode.

I have used the Middle Atlantic Product's UCP systems. I like them very much for panels and such. I have their rack mount boxes with UCP fronts in stock for future projects. If you plan to have the splitter in a rack, the UCP system can work well for you. Whirlwind and others made really nice stage boxes. You can buy them with the right amount of holes for your XLRs. I have used them and added UCP plates to add additional multipins and stuff. We modified the stock boxes to our needs. You can do the same.

We sell and stock many products. Whirlwind, Middle Atlantic Products, and many other produces are available through my company, Aura Sonic Ltd. I don't think this is the right place to promote and/or sell the product lines we carry, so this will be the first and last time I mention it...

Dave, the UCP system by Middle Atlantic is a 2 space system, with five panels. Each panel can have 1 to 6 XLRs. Many other types of connectors can be mounted in the pre punched panels. ELCO, DSUB, HUBBLE, BNC, etc., can be added to the system. Middle Atlantic makes a 1 space XLR rack, but it only has a tray. It's not a boxed unit. It have 16 XLR holes, that must be punched out before you can install the XLRs.

We just installed a 2 space UCP and a 1 space 16 XLR panel to the back of my PA mic pre/EQ rack. That rack has 8 ATI Pro6s and 4 Midas XL42s for a total of 16 channels of goodness. This rack is part of a bigger system that interconnects to our new portable "flypack" system and the new Expando truck.

I may consider a tour of our facility, so many of you can see and play with some of the stuff we built and use. If enough buzz about this happens, I will consider doing it. It's up to you folks...

Start another thread and add you names to the list if you want to make this so.
I was rummaging around looking for splitter suggestions and ideas, wow there is some great stuff at gearslutz if you spend time shoveling through it all.

Steve, I'd love to see some photos of your splitter systems (small, medium, and large). I can tell your implementations are inspired from working in the trenches. I thought I had it all figured out, then I read your idea about a solo switch for putting in an alternate source to ring out the system when the mics are not plugged in yet, brilliant. If you have suggestions for reliable switches to use and which multipin connectors to use where, I'd be most appreciative of that information.

I've spent the last couple of years greatly expanding my location recording capability and quality. As things have taken off I've found I need to be able to handle large drum kits, in most cases getting a split off the live mics is the only practical solution so I am going to build a 16 channel splitter to cover drum situations.

Also, if you have wares for sale, don't be afraid to hawk them here (IMHO). Years of experience has taught me that the BEST deal is not always the cheapest one.

Perhaps a new all encompassing splitter thread could get hatched.

All the best in the upcoming new year.
Old 28th December 2006 | Show parent
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Some of our splitters can be seen in our photo gallery under "Portable Gear" heading.

Most of our Splitter Systems and Stage Boxes are listed on the Aura Sonic Ltd. website -- Check it out if you haven't already.

One of these days I want to stack up all the various splitters and photograph them... If I get this done, I shall post them on this board for sure.

If applicable, PM me so we can discuss your splitter needs more directly.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…