Quantcast
audience vs room - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
audience vs room
Old 16th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
audience vs room

you can mic the audience or the room or both. (usually i mic the audience. the rooms i get into aren't all that great sounding and there's usually a so so PA going.)

any thoughts on audience micing vs room micing? approaches to one or the other? when is one appropriate, when the other? how to you deal with delay- does it matter? how do you set mics- what conditions or other considerations determine one placement vs another? or just a general treatise on the topic.
Old 16th April 2003
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Good question.

I will be back with a reply very soon...

Been super busy.

Anyone else care to answer this while I'm away?
Old 17th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I find that when I'm micing the audience, I try to minimize room quite a bit. I bring the mics down and up depending upon what is happening. It is also very dependent upon what is happening with the PA. If I have good PA, I can get away with a bit more. If the PA sucks, I'll go with less room.

For indoor events, I'll usually place a couple of AKG 460s on poles at either side of the stage. These mics will usually have hypercardiod capsules on them so that I can control direct applause sound versus room. In a reverberant room, this can help clear up the recorded sound.

When I'm working on an outdoor event, I'll place cardiod mics facing the near part of the crowd. Up a bit higher, I'll use shotguns to pull in a more distant sound.

--Ben
Old 17th April 2003
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Re: audience vs room

I mic the audience but go for a great room sound too.
IMO, there are "no" bad rooms, just bad mic placement...

I usually start off with 2 to 4 shotguns downstage right, center and left pointing towards the audience angled to maximize the audience response. I also place 2 (sometimes 4) large diaphram mics at the FOH position. It usually depends on the size of the venue we're in.

Sometimes I time align the room mics to the stage mics, some times I do not. It depends on what I'm going for.

If I'm going for a room tone for the band and also need audience response, I may multi the mics and EQ one set for the band tone and EQ and ride the other set for audience swells.

When it comes to mic'ing, I have certain starting points for each venue. When the tried and true mic placement doesn't work out, move it! Trial and error is not a bad thing when you found the result you were looking for.

Here are a few threads on the subject...

Mixing in 6 shotgun mics

Speaking of mics...

Time aligning audience mics in DAWS

I know what I would do...

Audience mics

I hope this helped!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…