Quantcast
TritonAudio FetHead In-line Amplifier - Anyone Tried? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TritonAudio FetHead In-line Amplifier - Anyone Tried?
Old 1st September 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
The FetHeads are certainly functional....but compared to the TRP not really in the same league IMHO....I would be wary using them on quiet sources....although the self noise probably has as much to do w/ mic choice as the pre.
I have used both the FetHead & the TRP w/ my FatHeads, so that is my point of reference, fyi....if you are using an R84 or the like it might be an entirely different story.
They really work fine, nothing special, and they do give you the gain, just a bit noisier than the TRP and more difficult to find the sweet spot, as the TRP obviously is more easily tweaked.
Old 14th October 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I just got my FetHead in from Germany...what an amazing product! I tried it on various ribbons such as Beyerdynamic 160, 130, an old RCA 330 ribbon, a Heil PR 40, a Sputnik tube, and my Cascade ribbon.....FANTASTIC on all except the Sputnik, but the best sound was with the Beyer 160 and the Heil mic!!!!

Actually, the Sputnik sounded like ass w/it, but the FetHead is mainly designed for ribbons and dynamic mics (according to its literature). I LOVE THIS THING AND AM ODERING A FEW MORE!!!
Old 15th October 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
CORRECTION: I wrote the above from work & now in my studio I noticed & should clarify that the Beyer I loved w/this is an M260 (NOT an M160). I also have an M130 & I'm not that thrilled about it......
Old 23rd October 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Many have posted, but I'd like to add another positive note on the Fethead. I ordered and received mine from Michael Joly this week. I bought them primarily to use with my Fathead II's. I didn't have a chance to use my Fatheads for anything this week, but had read of folks putting them on other dynamics like the 57 etc. for a more open/broad sound.

I'm always up for a little experimentation, so what the heck.

I threw one of the Fetheads on a 57 on a Djembe this morning and on a 58 for a guest gospel artist this evening.

Just from the initial impression, I'll use them again on some dynamic sources. They seem to give a 57/58 a depth that they didn't have before. They act more like active condensers (which they almost are). In fact, one of my students thought I had a condenser on the djembe this morning. He didn't believe it was just a 57 till he saw it.

Cool product. Not going to "shake the world" but I can see it being massively useful in many places. I think I may order another pair down the road.

Can't wait to see what they do with the Fatheads.

Howie J
Old 8th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiothings ➑️
nobody has mentioned the sanken had-48. it offers +20 or +40 dB gain.
From the offcial website:

Gain: +29dB or +40dB switchable
Nominal input level: 1.0mV(-60dBV)
Nominal output level: 0.1V(-20dBV); Select +20dB position for high impedence output dynamic mic and +40dB position for low impedence output mic.
Frequency res: 50Hz~20kHz
Consumption current: less than 4.5mA
Noise level: -121 dBA
Max Input Level: 0.48V(-6.4dBV)(+20dB position)
(THD 1%): 47.7mV(-26dBV)(+40dB position)
Max Output level: 4.8V(13.6dBV)(THD1%)
Input impedence: 10k Ohms (1kHz)
Output impedence: 180 Ohms (1kHz)
Expected receive side impedence: more than 10k Ohms
Powering: 48V phantom fed from mixer or micpre side
Input connector: XLR-3F
Output connector: XLR-3M
Dimensions: 115.3mm(L), 19mm(depth)
Weight: 90g

The frequency response is a little vague here, and expected receive side impedance is very high with > 10 kOhm ... not so many preamps do have this.
The Price is also quit high witzh 249 US $ at B&H...

But these are data. Do you have experience with them. How about real conditions behaviour noisewise and soundwise?
πŸ“ Reply