Quantcast
I had to take my Klark Teknik Square 1 in for repair - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I had to take my Klark Teknik Square 1 in for repair
Old 9th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Unhappy I had to take my Klark Teknik Square 1 in for repair

at a show the other night i noticed the release on one channel of my Klark Teknik Square 1 dynamics was going weird so i took it in for repair today. Maybe its chinese quality control but its the first one they had seen so maybe i was just unlucky as the unit was going great otherwise and we all know any brand can have some problems. It seemed to be a small problem i could of looked at my self but being under warranty i just took it to the repairer, someone else can deal with it and pay for it, the repairer has been very good with everything else so im sure its in good hands. Although it was odd they even had to check if they were even the warranty repairer because they get so few klark units needing attention they couldn't remember.

Now ive been booked for the weekend and i dont know if ill have it back or not.

its annoying its happened but im still confident of the Klark name behind their products (we will see what the repairer says) and hopefully my experience will help others choosing what to buy.
Old 9th February 2009
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
What exactly went wrong with the unit?

Warranty or not you have a gig that you need that device on.

If it was something simple, I'm wondering why you didn't open the chassis and see if it can be fixed in house, especially since you're booked up and stuff.Just my .03 cents.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
If it was something simple, I'm wondering why you didn't open the chassis and see if it can be fixed in house, especially since you're booked up and stuff.Just my .03 cents.
Because historically, this is the sure fire way to invalidate whatever warenty you have?

G
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I hope they get the fires under control soon! What a terrible thing!!

Ask the dealer for a loaner maybe. Hopefully you'll get yours back by then.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness ➑️
What exactly went wrong with the unit?

Warranty or not you have a gig that you need that device on.

the release control on one channel was behaving strangely. when the channel is a comp the pot did nothing and it always had a very fast release and when it was a gate (which i usually use than channel for) anything but the fastest release setting just wasnt closing the gate.

while it does seem simple problem i really cant say if it will be a simple fix and i can only imagine how dense they have to be made to fit everything in so i just cant risk doing anything to the unit while its still under warranty.

ive been booked not the gear so and taking any gear is upto me rather than a requirement, but then again its the equipment that lets me deliver and its because i can deliver a good sound that i ive been booked again. hopefully it will be a simple fix and ill have the unit back by the end of the week as it got marked as urgent so the only holdup should be if they wait on parts. but if it comes to it ill just make take a couple of dbx 160 (have 160s is both good and bad anyway) and the venue where its more important has a couple of 166 i can make use of so i'll get by. damn how ive out grown the more budget gear and always want klarks and 160's but we all want the stuff that works for us. actually maybe ill use the venues master 160's as inserts anyway as i hardly ever use mainly compression.

i also didn't get booked until the afternoon when i had already dropped the unit to the repairer, if i had of known i might of waited a week, but as i said hopefully ill have it back by then anyway. it will be annoying without it but ill get by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaphappygarry ➑️
Because historically, this is the sure fire way to invalidate whatever warenty you have?

G
exactly, even when i was talking to the woman in the repair shop she always pretends not to hear if someone said they had opened a unit. They even use screw heads that most people wouldn't have so people wont open it (polydrive maybe?) While it appears simple im not skilled enough to do any significant work to the unit especially considering it would be lead free solder and other modern manufacturing and trying to do that kind of work would certainly void the warranty so as far as im concerned someone can deal with it and the distributor can pay for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedupsteve ➑️
I hope they get the fires under control soon! What a terrible thing!!

Ask the dealer for a loaner maybe. Hopefully you'll get yours back by then.
they are very bad, the death tool keeps rising. luckily im over the other side of the country in Perth. Although I bought the unit from Factory Sound in Melbourne. so im about 2500-3000Km away so its not even feasible to ask them for a loan.
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaphappygarry ➑️

G

Fixing a simple problem would never invalidate a warranty if you do it with the same care any technician would have used.

In any event, that still wouldn't stop me from opening the box and looking inside; it could be a simple problem that can be fix on the spot.

Hey, I guess everyone has their way of doing things.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_techie ➑️
but then again its the equipment that lets me deliver
sorry to hear that...
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopthomas ➑️
sorry to hear that...
how can anyone deliver without the right equipment?
of course its our ears that let us make decisions but it because of what i hear that decides what gear i want to use. i dont know how any true professional could think/work differently.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i just talked to the repairer, he only got the schematic yesterday, and said it will probably take a week by the time they wait on parts, as the pot will need changing and who knows what else at this stage. so i rang the importer/distributor to see if i could get a replacement and mine was the first unit in the country to have a problem and there arnt any agents over this way i could get a replacement from

anyway i guess i was just unlucky getting the first faulty unit. looks like it will just be 160's this weekend.
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
well it turns out the faulty part is the pcb
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Wow, that sucks.

Sorry to hear the news.

Will they replace the unit or the board for you?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah absolutely, they have ordered a new board, all gets charged to KT/Bosch. the repairer said he probably could of just lifted alot of the components off the board obviously so they couldn't short but refused to do anything that wouldnt be ideal. i dont know how long it will take to come in, as they rarely never have to order parts from KT all they could say was the last thing they had to get a Midas part it took 10 days.

i did find out the unit is all analogue, no digital control of anything.

The whole thing is annoying but im kind of glad it happened now while it was under warranty and i know the repairer will do a good job and it sounds like ill basically have a brand unit again anyway. I know he will put it back together right aswell where as you just never know how good/bad things are done is factories. Im glad i didnt try anything my self because it sounds to complex for me to of figured out.
Old 14th April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
9 Weeks later and i still dont have the thing back.
All i can say it that stage is im utterly pissed off at klark tekink
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What! What did they say when you called them?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
They were waiting on a new board to be manufactured and so far nothing has come into the country.

As far as im concerned its not an acceptable to be waiting this long for any professional product let alone something Klark Teknik
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Have you called tech support at Bosch Australia. I regularly deal with those guys and they are first class. PM me if you would like a specific contact.
Larry
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_techie ➑️
They were waiting on a new board to be manufactured and so far nothing has come into the country.

As far as im concerned its not an acceptable to be waiting this long for any professional product let alone something Klark Teknik

id be asking for a refund and buy a similar product from another company!
get an ACP88 and you'll have spare cash towards another really nice gate, like a drawmer, and you'll have the extra rack space for it!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
"Another" really nice gate? What's the first? Sorry, had to take that cheap shot on the Presonus. I really hate that unit, ESPECIALLY for a gate. Of course Drawmer would be nice, but I think AussieTechie needs to get his Square 1 back. Hopefully sooner than later.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jude ➑️
id be asking for a refund and buy a similar product from another company!
i may be doing that although i would probably go a completely different direction now anyway.

i just got emails from 2 different people at KT UK so we will see if this gets an answer.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopthomas ➑️
"Another" really nice gate? What's the first? Sorry, had to take that cheap shot on the Presonus. I really hate that unit, ESPECIALLY for a gate. Of course Drawmer would be nice, but I think AussieTechie needs to get his Square 1 back. Hopefully sooner than later.
the gates on the SQ1 are very nice, in fact its the only cheap gate i ever use, anything else i would rather not have a gate at all. My main reason for buying it was for the comps but the gates turned out to be the thing that really shined. it was a great until there was a problem. i know KT build quality is still good but getting the 1 unit that had a problem the support really sucks.
Old 15th April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
here is the response from KT

Quote:
Firstly, on behalf of Klark Teknik I personally apologies for the delay & the way you have been treated, Klark Teknik & Midas pride ourselves on customer service & unfortunately in this case our process failed, the blame remains at our door & not our distributor (Bosch Security Systems). We had experienced a few delivery issues with from our supplier, however we have resolved this issue in house & can now confirm that the new parts which have been ordered by our distributor will be shipped out via Airfreight this week direct to Bosch Security Systems.

Once again, apologies for any inconvenience caused. If you have any further issues, please do not hesitate to contact our team in Australia or myself directly.

Kind Regards

Simon Godfrey

Export Manager
Midas and Klark Teknik
So they are slowly sorting them selves out but its still not good enough so Bosh are sending out a new unit. hopefully that one will work.
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
I like that they admitted the mistake was on their end.
That's a very strong thing to do, but I just wish this was addressed weeks ago.

Keep us posted on your developments!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Wow - for an 'Exports Manager' that's got some poor grammar and a lot of ampersands for a formal apology . . .
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
It's true, but at least he got the spelling right. heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohthom ➑️
Wow - for an 'Exports Manager' that's got some poor grammar and a lot of ampersands for a formal apology . . .
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yeah - I guess Microsoft still haven't figured out how to build a working grammar checker into Outlook yet heh
Old 20th April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I picked up a brand new unit from the repair today.

I will look at selling this one now, the price has gone up a bit since i got it so if i can get back what i paid for it i will be happy. While I was always happy with the unit before I dont need the 8ch format anymore so if anyone is looking at buying one PM me.
πŸ“ Reply