Shure L4 Diversity Receiver w/Beta 87 wireless - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Shure L4 Diversity Receiver w/Beta 87 wireless
Old 9th February 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Question Shure L4 Diversity Receiver w/Beta 87 wireless

Hello all,

I ran across a couple of Shure L4 receivers anlong with the Shure WA404 Distribution system. It also included two Shure Wireless Beta 87 mics. They looked used but not beat up. I can get the whole setup for about $200. It looks like a great deal on the surface, but I don't want to drop the dime if it's obsolete or junk. I downloaded the specs from Shure and it appears that these particular units were higher end when new. Does anybody have any experience using these.

I read up on the new FCC frequency spectrum stuff and it seems that the bulk of the problems are around 700MHz.

Any help is much appreciated.
Old 9th February 2009
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spookster86 ➡️
...I read up on the new FCC frequency spectrum stuff and it seems that the bulk of the problems are around 700MHz.

What is the frequency range for those devices?

FYI, the window is a bit wider than just around 700MHz.

The FCC has made the 698MHz to 806MHz range unavailable for our usage.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I looked it up at home last night and the range is around 200MHz. I don't have the specifics of the unit but they are around that range.
Old 17th June 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spookster86 ➡️
Hello all,

I ran across a couple of Shure L4 receivers anlong with the Shure WA404 Distribution system. It also included two Shure Wireless Beta 87 mics. They looked used but not beat up. I can get the whole setup for about $200. It looks like a great deal on the surface, but I don't want to drop the dime if it's obsolete or junk. I downloaded the specs from Shure and it appears that these particular units were higher end when new. Does anybody have any experience using these.

I read up on the new FCC frequency spectrum stuff and it seems that the bulk of the problems are around 700MHz.

Old 17th June 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hi Spookster86...

First, let me say the L-Series wireless units are decent units. The down side is that technology has changed for the better since those units were being marketed... that is 10-12 year old technology. The L-Series is single frequency unit that operates in one of three frequency ranges within the larger window of 169-216mhz. Single frequency also means that if you have interference, you're dead in the water since the frequency is fixed.

Having said all that... I have an old L-Series unit in my rack that I need to match with another unit or maybe two. So, IF you decide not to purchase, would you pass along the info to me? Also, if you need any more information on the unit, I have done some research trying to find one.

I also just purchased two brand new Shure units from Sweetwater. The new technology far exceeds what the L-series was capable of. Depends on your appl,ication, I guess.

kevnic7
Old 8th May 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hi Kevnic7
I have the L4 receiver and Sure SM58 Wireless mic. The mic frequency is 171.905 MHz and the L4 receiver is 192.200 MHz. Is there anyway to change the frequency or pair these? Do I have to purchase another mic?
Huge help if anyone knows the answer. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevnic7 ➡️
Hi Spookster86...

First, let me say the L-Series wireless units are decent units. The down side is that technology has changed for the better since those units were being marketed... that is 10-12 year old technology. The L-Series is single frequency unit that operates in one of three frequency ranges within the larger window of 169-216mhz. Single frequency also means that if you have interference, you're dead in the water since the frequency is fixed.

Having said all that... I have an old L-Series unit in my rack that I need to match with another unit or maybe two. So, IF you decide not to purchase, would you pass along the info to me? Also, if you need any more information on the unit, I have done some research trying to find one.

I also just purchased two brand new Shure units from Sweetwater. The new technology far exceeds what the L-series was capable of. Depends on your appl,ication, I guess.

kevnic7
📝 Reply