Quantcast
Live Music - Wireless mics? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Live Music - Wireless mics?
Old 7th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Question Live Music - Wireless mics?

For all you live engineers out there, what are your favorite handheld wireless mics to use for acapella and harmony based vocals?

Im looking for something <600$ and want the absolute best in that budget, condenser or dynamic.

Furthermore, what kind of pres do you like to use with these mics.

I was thinking:

Sennheiser EW135G2 into Mackie Onyx?

opinions?
Old 7th February 2009
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Tolentino ➑️
For all you live engineers out there, what are your favorite handheld wireless mics to use for acapella and harmony based vocals?

Im looking for something <600$ and want the absolute best in that budget, condenser or dynamic.

Furthermore, what kind of pres do you like to use with these mics.

I was thinking:

Sennheiser EW135G2 into Mackie Onyx?

opinions?
With radio's pre's are not really an issue as they supply line level out. For your budget (which is very little) I would either look at the Sennheisers or the cheapest Shure range, both offer good value for money. My best advice would be to steer clear of the cheap non-descript brands as they are pretty much worse than useless.

Regards

Roland
Old 7th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It sounds like you're on the right track with the EW135 and Onyx combination. Both are excellent bang for the buck units. The e835 is the mic I always bring up in the "What's the sm58 alternative?" threads. The 835 has a smoother top end than the harsher sm58 and is at least as durable. The ew100 series has great features such as RF autoscan, user bank for frequency saving, and a solid metal chassis. Also, I was very happy when the second generation series was released using AA batteries instead of expensive 9volts.
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I run sound at a local community theatre and they recently bought 4 AT AE3141s. They sound real good for an affordable wireless. I've heard the mid level Shures and the Sennheisers many times and they sound great too.

I don't know how much you know about wireless but be aware that the > 698 mhz UHF range has been sold and can't be used any more ( although many still do and plan to continue).

Check your area for good channels to pick from:
Shure - Wireless Frequency Finder

And you should also read this:
Shure - White Spaces

Note: All the makers have these tools on their websites!

Last edited by mixedupsteve; 7th February 2009 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: addf note
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
For your budget, you're not going to afford the best condenser capsules, such as Sennheiser's EM5000 or KMS105 capsules, in the Shure Range, it's the KSM-9 that's king. Those are the BEST in the bunch. But what comes stock in the Senn EW/G3 range is all pretty solid, very good value, and will work well. I've done lots of harmonies with plain ol' SM58 capsules and had good results, only I and the monitor engineer lamented our dynamics/desiring AKG 535 or better capsules.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Anyone have any experience with/opinions on BeyerDynamics wireless gear? I just snagged some of their recently discontinued Opus 500 sets that were NIB and being unloaded by the distributor on e-bay. There were two different transmitters/capsules - essentially the wireless versions of their TG-X-60 dynamic (SDM 860) and Opus 81 condenser (SEM 881). The price was way stupid cheap, so I just grabbed some of each sight unheard as it were. The mics are still being carried, but they have replaced the receiver (the NE 500 S) with one with more bells and whistles. I have zip experience with wireless, and I'm curious to know more about what I've got. If anyone else has an interest, they are apparently still selling some, although with a more basic receiver.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Word of warning-

Be careful and make sure you find out what frequency band these are in! The FCC has recently enacted legislation making the 698-806MHZ range illegal for RF microphone, (where it was formerly a safe haven) and all manufacturers, distributors, and retailers are dumping everything manufactured in these frequencies.

Good luck!

JvB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pohaku ➑️
Anyone have any experience with/opinions on BeyerDynamics wireless gear? I just snagged some of their recently discontinued Opus 500 sets that were NIB and being unloaded by the distributor on e-bay. There were two different transmitters/capsules - essentially the wireless versions of their TG-X-60 dynamic (SDM 860) and Opus 81 condenser (SEM 881). The price was way stupid cheap, so I just grabbed some of each sight unheard as it were. The mics are still being carried, but they have replaced the receiver (the NE 500 S) with one with more bells and whistles. I have zip experience with wireless, and I'm curious to know more about what I've got. If anyone else has an interest, they are apparently still selling some, although with a more basic receiver.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim vanBergen ➑️
Be careful and make sure you find out what frequency band these are in! The FCC has recently enacted legislation making the 698-806MHZ range illegal for RF microphone, (where it was formerly a safe haven) and all manufacturers, distributors, and retailers are dumping everything manufactured in these frequencies.

Good luck!

JvB
Well, as I said, I know zip about wireless, and that is precisely what they sold me - 700 MHZ band units. So, this could get interesting. If they were a private party I might not have recourse, but this is the Beyer US Distributor that is unloading these, NIB complete with warranty, when they clearly know that these will be illegal to use in the very near future.

Now let's see, a letter to the FCC and E-Bay regarding their selling of items requiring a license to the general public who apparently can't be licensed for them and knowingly selling to the public items that will be illegal to use after February 17th without informing their purchasers. Oh yeah, and since I'm an attorney with a law firm that likes to do plaintiff class action work, maybe a lawsuit representing everyone else who bought a unit after the FCC adopted it's rules. A letter to Beyer regarding the unethical activities of their US Distributor. Posting about how Beyer USA treats their customers on every online audio forum. This could be quite entertaining before it's over.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Wow, that sucks. A call to the distributor and/or a call to Beyer is definitely in order. Does Beyer not have this posted all over their web site like most other wireless manufacturers?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
No, Beyer doesn't say anything about it on their website - at least not in any obvious location that I could find. All they have is this statement:

Important! All models comply with the FCC and DTI regulations. In most countries around the world, wireless systems must be approved for use by the authorities and it may be necessary to obtain a lincence to use it legally. Your local beyerdynamic dealer will be able to give you details on wireless system regulations for your area.

Misspelling is in the original. This certainly is obtuse and says nothing about the 700 MHZ issue.
πŸ“ Reply