Quantcast
word clock distribution / preamp noise - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
word clock distribution / preamp noise
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Talking word clock distribution / preamp noise

At the concert hall where i often man the Yamaha Ls-9, we have the Ls-9 "head amps" and Presonus Digimax FS preamps. On comparison, we found the Presonus units to be significantly noisier than the built in preamps... They are still usable but we keep them for louder instruments requiring less gain.

The Presonus units (x4) are coming into the console over ADAT. The systems integration guy has taken the wordclock output from the Ls9 and split it into 4, using an active video splitter and sent the four outputs to the Presonus wordclock inputs... (tried to convince him that there was probably going to be some tradeoff but he was sure that it would be no problem).

I don't believe that the Presonus can be so much noisier than the yamaha head amps... (Tho', like I said, they have no problems with noise when not being driven hard). Could it be because of the clocking/distribution?

Thanks,
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hmm.. there is a reason why there are wordclock distibutors.. Wordclock and video definitely aren't the same type of signal... But since I do not know the technical details as to why and how and such, my post is kind of useless.. I just trust our companies audio maintainance guy, and he says: wordclock distributor good, video DA bad...
📝 Reply