Quantcast
Where the heck is everyone? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Where the heck is everyone?
Old 2nd April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Where the heck is everyone?

hey all, since not really anyone has been posting in here lately, ( myself included) I figure there has ben alot of actual remoting going on and we are all busy.. what is everyone up to?

Let hear some stories./. tell us your problems, lets find some answers!

I will start with something I have been curious about, because i like the product, but I am not really sure what is happening with the signal when I use it ( technically I mean, I understand the concept) :

XTA ( or BSS ) active splitter. What are the sonic effects to the gain applied at the stage end? I have heard it sound greaty, but does it compete with having remote pres on stage? is that gain stage a good thing? is it just that it is better then driving 300' of mic lines? any ideas?

Steve #2
Old 3rd April 2003
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Hey Steve #2,

Steve #3 tuning in. Thanks for bringing up your concerns for the remote recording forum. I have addressed my concerns in two new threads.

Let me answer your active splitter question the best I can.

Many folks have performance expectations when it comes to splitters and the multiple feeds involved. With the increase in simultaneous broadcast and recording needs in addition to the FOH and MON feeds needed, active splitters can be very helpful when dealing with multiple loads and long cable runs.

Mics often encounter difficult loads with impedances much lower then they were designed to handle. All these parallel connections can obviously degrade the sound quality of the mic. A lack of signal level can also accur. Active splitters often solve these problems but could cause their own problems. Headroom, poor noise performance, etc. and grounding problems are possible...

The XTA DS800 can handle mic and/or line level inputs, the noise specs are pretty cool and it has effeciently handled some of the more advanced dates we have done.

50 dB of gain is available via a five position switch. Phantom power is provide within the splitter. Each channel has one actively balanced input with a total of four outputs. Two are individually active balanced, the other two are transformer isolated. There's a five segment meter for each channel which comes in very handy. There's also a solo button, headphone level control and headphone jack to name a few of the features.

We have 104 channels in service, two 24 channel systems which can be used individually or as a 48 channel system. We also have a 48 channel rig for bigger dates and a single 8 channel setup for the small stuff. There's a 40 channel BSS active splitter in service since the late 80's. We have various passive splitter systems in service for total production service flexibility.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…