Quantcast
Live Recording Mixer - Fostex LR16 & Korg D888 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Live Recording Mixer - Fostex LR16 & Korg D888
Old 27th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Question Live Recording Mixer - Fostex LR16 & Korg D888

A colleague has drawn this interesting device to my attention - see Fostex Press Releases - Broadcast, Film and Pro Audio for details.

Looks a bit like a Korg D888 on steroids.

Speaking of the D888 I have just done some comparisons of its mic preamps (noise in particular) vs the Edirol R-44, and my conclusion is that its performance in my simple test was perfectly creditable. Not bad at the price for an 8-mic-input location recorder. See D888 preamp tests indicate fine performance - StudioTrax Forums for details.
Old 17th February 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Anyone got practical experience with that Fostex beast?
(asked that question in the New Products too, but I guess the chance of replies is higher here).

https://gearspace.com/board/new-prod...stex-lr16.html

Sound: good enough for classical?
Noise: does it have a fan in the "stagebox" unit?
Cat.5 cable length: they state 50mtr. will work. But how about longer runs, say when recording in a van outside the venue? Will it work with cat.5 extenders/repeaters?
Old 17th February 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkautzsch ➡️
Haven´t got practical experiences, and the only things I can tell you are: no fan, but a noisy HD. Techn. specs are ok.
If you get further infos please contact me in our forum. Thanks.

Gruß
Jan
Old 18th February 2010 | Show parent
jjb
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Well, it's less ugly when they two pieces are split apart! (See the pdf for more pics)

The 80gig drive strikes me as rather small if you're recording 16 tracks and a mix at 24/48.

Any word on a price?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Google for fostex lr16 price and you'll get plenty of hits - eg Buy Fostex LR16 Live Recording Mixer | Multitrack Recorders | Unpowered Mixers | Digital Mixers | Musician's Friend $1999.00 - depends of course which country you are in.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjb ➡️
Well, it's less ugly when they two pieces are split apart! (See the pdf for more pics)

The 80gig drive strikes me as rather small if you're recording 16 tracks and a mix at 24/48.

Any word on a price?
Well, doesn't exactly need to look nice. Price is around EUR 1,400+vat here.
80 gigs are about 10 hrs of recording all (16+2) channels. Way enough for live recording, and even for sessions when you copy the data to an external drive each evening. Most of my live recordings are around 20 gig.

Now it would be really nice if one could sync two machines...
Old 14th February 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkautzsch ➡️
(asked that question in the New Products too, but I guess the chance of replies is higher here).

https://gearspace.com/board/new-prod...stex-lr16.html

Cat.5 cable length: they state 50mtr. will work. But how about longer runs, say when recording in a van outside the venue? Will it work with cat.5 extenders/repeaters?
Any latest update? Wondering this could be a good choose for some of my application.
Old 23rd February 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I've recently taken delivery of the Fostex LR16, one for the conference centre I work for and one for my own use recording orchestra's, theatre organs, jazz etc and the Fostex is a great bit of kit, well please with them.

Steve
Canbury Sound
Old 21st May 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
LR-16

I hope it is the type of unit I was looking for. I ordered the LR16 from Musician's Friend in March. It should be here around June 20. Hopefully my new studio will be finished by then. I like the Fostex brand. It really doesn't take a huge learning curve to get it going. I used the VF-16 for 10 years and it served me well.
I just like the idea of 16 tracks. I have 16 wall inputs, a solo booth and drum booth. We'll see.......
Old 24th November 2018
Here for the gear

LR16 PROBLEMS
hì folks
I have owned the lr16 for several years without any major issues until now.
When powering up, the main unit will not power the mixer section. The message on the screen is cannot locate control unit. Ive changed out the cat 5 cable and still no worky. Ive looked for a firmware update however fostex has nothing on there site. I live near Sudbury Ontario Canada. Ive contacted Ericson music the Canadian dist and they couldnt even recomend a repair shop. Anyone elee come across this issue.
Old 19th April 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Re:LR16 PROBLEMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edthehorse ➡️
LR16 PROBLEMS
hì folks
..... the main unit will not power the mixer section. ...... Ive looked for a firmware update however fostex has nothing on there site. ....... couldnt even recomend a repair shop. Anyone elee come across this issue.

What version of firmware are you running ?

I dont have a schematic & have never needed to open up my LR16, so very difficult to fault find by guess work.
One possible stress point is in the power regulation circuit - a failed capacitor, or a voltage regulator that overheated and died. Maybe its just a bad contact on the input connector, if its had a lot of pluggiing/unplugging over the years.
Maybe theres a power fuse inside which blew or broke with age ??
📝 Reply