Quantcast
APHEX Systems 188 8-Channel Remote Controlled Mic Pre - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
APHEX Systems 188 8-Channel Remote Controlled Mic Pre
Old 10th April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Comparing the specs of the 188 with the 1788 they have the same EIN ( -125dBu ).

The 1788 has 6 dB hotter analog output ( +27dBu ).

WT
Old 13th September 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Any more comments about this preamp? I know at least one Gearslut who has a rig with them. Care to post your thoughts after several months of using them in the field? Also, anyone know the depth of the unit? I'm about to buy a case. Of course space is a premium, so no need to buy a huge case if they aren't as deep as a power amp.
Old 24th September 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Has anyone tried these yet?
I'm very curious about them. Good bang for buck especially coupled with their Anaconda system is very reasonable & flexible.

Here's what i came up with for a 64ch system:(correct me if i'm wrong)
Aphex 828M Anaconda 64 ch.Bi-Directional system $2000
Aphex 188 Mic pre 8ch (x8 @$1300ea) $10,400
Aphex Mic control software = free
150' BNC Snake cable with redundant spare pair $350
(16) adat fiber optic cables @$5ea =$80
(9) ethernet cables @$4ea=$36
Total i get for this system is = $12,866 +tax & shipping & cases (maybe less)

Using Madi gets you to 96k, although there is nothing wrong with lightpipe at 48k.... i have been using it successfully for many years...... most TV & broadcast production is 48k...... and sadly often 16bit only, but i know many people record at 24bit/96k. I do our show at 24bit/48k/Wave.

I might demo a unit and see, love to hear about anyone elses trials..... i really like Aphex gear and feel that their engineers and designers make excellent gear.
The software seems simple enough as well:
Attached Thumbnails
APHEX Systems 188 8-Channel Remote Controlled Mic Pre-aphex-remote-software.png  
Old 25th September 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That is almost exactly the rig I am working on. I don't have any of the components yet so can't comment on it first hand... Yet. Don't forget a hub for that ethernet mess since the 188's do not have a loop through. Also, the Anaconda only goes to 48k.
Old 17th October 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Anyone know what they are using inside? Are they using the same uP controllable mic pre ICs that are used in the Orpheus?

Just trying to get a sense of what they will sound like. Looking for some mobile pres to add to my Orpheus.
Old 24th October 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
has anyone listen to the 188 and 1788 side by side yet? im curious on how they sound?
Old 1st November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
me too - especially looking for sonic reports on the 188 if anyone has seen one!
Old 1st November 2009 | Show parent
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
I'd be interested in this discovery too.
Old 6th January 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
We built a new stage rack a few months back and purchased (6) Aphex 188 pres. They've been working well since day 1. Very clean, lots of gain, and a very respectable s/n ration. We control them with the 1788 remote. I'm not sure why anyone would complain of noise or hiss, they are dead quiet for us.

Picture of our splitter & pre rack attached.

-Michael
Attached Thumbnails
APHEX Systems 188 8-Channel Remote Controlled Mic Pre-img_3864_2.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nice looking rack, Michael. I'm still planning a purchase, definitely this year. How hot does that rack get? I know Aphex recommends one space between each unit, so how does having 6 in 6 spaces work out for you? I've already started building a rack panel for this setup and I have a fan built into that in preparation for the heat. Also, have you used the software to control the 188's? I downloaded it and it seemed extremely clunky (and that's exactly what the Aphex rep told me as well) but maybe it's not so bad in use.
Lives for gear

We've had some heat related failures with our 188's. Originally I mounted them in a 4u open rack frame and they overheated within a couple of hours.
I have since modded all our units to add a cross flow fan inside the box and machined some ventilation on the other side of the case. Since I used rubber grommets to secure the fans, they are still acoustically dead quiet and we haven't seen a heat problem since. We're using an RME 642 lightbridge to convert the signals to MADI.
WRT the software, it's not the most ergonomic , but works fine recalling presets and changing gains. I use the 4 groups to control things that want to go up and down together, but that's really all it's good for. The nice thing is that I can see all the preamps and meter the digital output levels via the software, the only problem is that you can only see one preamp at a time.

We had some noise issues with one unit and had to send it back to the mothership for repair. They just exchanged it for a different unit.
Also, unterminated inputs exhibit a significant noise increase.
All the best,
-mark
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Yes, as Mark mentioned, ventilation is key. If you look closely (I know it's a bad picture) these rack rails allow me to put about 3/4" spacing between each unit, about 1/2 a rack space. There is a fan in rear that exhausts the hot air from the case.

If you're intending on using these for remote recording, I highly recommend the 1788 hardware remote piece. It does cost about as much as one of the 188s, but is by far the best way to control & meter a block of these units. Sometimes I'll use my laptop on stage to rough things in (pads, phantom, etc.) but I'm always setting my gain structure in the truck on the hardware remote. It also offers you 99 presets, invaluable for multi-band festivals.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
ARe able to run the 1788 control signal through the MADI-link ?

The RME ADI-648 has both a Midi and an RS-232 connector.

WT
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Aphex's snake does support the 1788 protocol down the fiber, but the RME i/o does not. We were able to bundle the ethernet into our fiber snake using a optical media converter.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ok, so you run dual fibers. One for Madi and one for control ?

What fiber did you buy ?

We use Neutrik Opticon fiber cables or Coax but would like control over external preΒ΄s. We can of course go Wifi or run an extra Ehternet along the Fiber/Coax.

WT
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
We use one fiber snake, but it contains multiple strands that we use for audio / pre control / video / backup lines / etc. Don't know the brand of fiber off hand, but it is tactical grade outdoor rated cable.

and we carry a backup spool, just in case.

FWIW...I'd steer clear of any WI-FI solution to do pre control. Chances are it's going to drop out on you exactly when you need it the most.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah, wouldnΒ΄t want non working control.....

Would like to know what fibermulti youΒ΄re using if you can check.

WT
Old 28th April 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Any word on what it sounds like?

Is it less-than-ideal but still completely usable? Or, for those of you that already have plenty of pres and just wanted 8 more, is this unit something of a last resort for you? (i.e. "Oh no, we only brought 16 Grace pres with us, and we need to spot mic the timpani." "Well, we've got that Aphex thing." "Err, I'd rather just not spot mic the timpani.")
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopthomas ➑️
Also, anyone know the depth of the unit? I'm about to buy a case. Of course space is a premium, so no need to buy a huge case if they aren't as deep as a power amp.
Same question. Anybody?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I emailed Aphex directly and got an answer. I can't seem to find the email with the exact number but it was around 8". Maybe 8.25"...
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thanks
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
As far as the sound: I've never heard them for myself, but many people are using them with great success. Michael from Indre Recording has a system of (I believe) 64 channels, so he's obviously happy with his decision.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thanks. At this point, I'm still trying to decide if it's even worth auditioning one. I'll obviously try it before I spend that kind of money. I just want to get a feel for what it sounds like, before I get a feel for what it sounds like...

The remote control part is a nice feature, and it's why I'm including it in my list of possible preamp purchases to be made in the coming months, but 90% of the time, I'll be using it with a 3 ft cable going in to my A/D. The remote is merely a convenient add-on for me, not an essential.
Old 28th April 2010
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NQJason ➑️
Saw this at Namm. $1299 street. Sounds nice. They were controlling it
at the show via a custom fader layer of a LS9. It also has it's own Mac and PC control software.

APHEX Systems 188 8-Channel Remote Controlled Mic Pre

Not the same transformers at the 1788, and no mic lim circuit.
I recorded with 2 of them connected on a MacBook Pro, M Audio Lightbridge with PT M Powered. All gear was connected with a ART Clock generator. Sound great when clocked by an external generator. The sound of pre is really great. Only a little annoying the software to control the trims: if you need to change on fly it is a little difficult, but works. No other problems. I can suggest if you need an 8 ch good preamps. With LS9 it is really faster and works easy. I'm specialized in jazz and classical music recordings and my mics sounds very well with Aphex.
Old 1st May 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Any more thoughts on sound quality?
Old 2nd May 2010
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Aphex 188

I'm curious what it sounds like and can't seem to find anyone who can talk about the unit's sound.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 2nd May 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I have not used the 188. I have used the 1788's. They were pretty quiet, but I thought they sounded rather brittle. The remote control is quite comprehensive, though you do need to be careful to be sure you are changing the correct parameter.

So: quiet: yes. desirable sonic characteristics: no.
Good remote: yes.

Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherUser ➑️

I'm curious what it sounds like and can't seem to find anyone who can talk about the unit's sound.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 2nd May 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
So, would you describe it as a last resort, "utility" preamp, or is it something that you would actually use for recording?
Old 6th May 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Anybody?

Surely someone out there has used one and can comment on its sound...
Old 6th May 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I love my 188s and respectfully disagree with the comments about them sounding "brittle". That said, they are not pretending to be boutique studio pres. They are very presentable remote controlled 8 channel pres with onboard A/D. If you're looking for something that will color sound (for better or worse) they're not a good fit. To me, I hear a very clean representation of the mic & source at the other end of the fiber.

I run remote truck that uses a rack of 6 of them on a daily basis, mostly music recording destined for TV. I'm probably a bit biased as I have a good chunk of money sunk into that rack - but I have no regrets about the purchase.

Lately, I feel like asking an engineer about the "sound" of a pre is like asking a painter about the "color" of the paint they're using.

Your best bet would be to contact an Aphex dealer and set up a demo. Use your ears.

-Michael
Attached Thumbnails
APHEX Systems 188 8-Channel Remote Controlled Mic Pre-img_0643.jpg  
πŸ“ Reply