Quantcast
bag full of preamps - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
bag full of preamps
Old 19th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Talking bag full of preamps

I want to hear what the pro guys use as preamps for let's say, capturing a live rockband.
what's in your arsenal for recording simult. a full drumkit + bass+ guitars.
I always read which pre is a good one.......
But what if you need a bag full of them (16 or more) , what are your preferences?
CIAO
rollz
Old 19th January 2003
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
I usually pick from the list below...

ASL's Portable Inventory

Stuff like API, ATI, Daking, Shep, True Systems.

If I cannot find what I need, I look at the list again and pick something. heh

Little by little, we're continually building on our mic pre & signal processing options.
Old 19th January 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
The standard classic stuff. API, Neve, Telefunken, Helios, Trident etc. I'd eventually like to get some ATI pres after hearing them at Steve's joint.
Old 19th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
The classics will remain standards but these days I'd be hard pressed to spend the money on them with the RNP at $475 for two great sounding channels.
Old 19th January 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I've got a Manley VoxBox, Great River MP-2, Drawmer 1969, ART ProMPA, and two Audiotronics 110 on the way. Then there are also the 32 channels of Neotek Elan preamps that sound quite good too. I'm thinking of Neve-a -like of API sometime this year, hopefully.
Old 19th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
yeah, but what goes with what kind of instrument ?
Old 20th January 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
It varies - usually Great River NV on overheads with UA 2108 on kick and snare (thought Daking EQ and limiting), conosle preamps on tomsand hat. Bass is likely to be be an Evil Twin, a Vintech X73 or a Phoenix Audio DRS-2. Guitars are whatever's left - DRS 2 (the other channel) More Vintech, Vac- Rac, Manley, or something...
Old 20th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
You can't go wrong with 16 of any of the pre's listed above!

APIs, Neve's, GR, Daking; Even the RNP rock!

If ya had to get a bag full of pres, 16 RNPs won't empty the pocket TOO much.
Old 20th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
For my personal taste, nothing says rock like Neve. To accompany them, it's API. Anything else is optional and usually unnecessary.
Old 20th January 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by denial
For my personal taste, nothing says rock like Neve. To accompany them, it's API. Anything else is optional and usually unnecessary.
Guess you've never heard the Vipre.....
Old 21st January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Hi Nathan and group

Not only have I heard the VIPRE but I own one. It's fantastic on vocals and worthy on bass but a Neve it is not on drums and in my opinion, not the first choice mic pre for rock music.

Actually the Telefunken V76 is in the same ballpark as the VIPRE (minus the slew rate and impedance selectors) for half the cost but I feel the V76 has a little more, for lack of a better word - attitude.

Anyway, both are good pre's but the Neve/API combo floats my boat and considering the vast amount or rock records made with them over the years, many engineers share the same view religiously, but this is nothing new.

It's probably fair to say that for rock music, I prefer a mic pre with character and loads of color. For this reason, the Avalon's get used seldomly.

It should be noted that when I refer to Neve, I also mean Neve-like.

Cheers!
Old 21st January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Hi Nathan and group

Not only have I heard the VIPRE but I own one. It's fantastic on vocals and worthy on bass but a Neve it is not on drums and in my opinion, not the first choice mic pre for rock music.

Actually the Telefunken V76 is in the same ballpark as the VIPRE (minus the slew rate and impedance selectors) for half the cost but I feel the V76 has a little more, for lack of a better word - attitude.

Anyway, both are good pre's but the Neve/API combo floats my boat and considering the vast amount or rock records made with them over the years, many engineers share the same view religiously, but this is nothing new.

It's probably fair to say that for rock music, I prefer a mic pre with character and loads of color. For this reason, the Avalon's get used seldomly.

It should be noted that when I refer to Neve, I also mean Neve-like.

Cheers!
Old 21st January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by denial
My M5s are great for live stuff, you just have to pick the right mic to give them some attitude. That's the beauty of them IMHO, you've got a clean canvas to color as you like, or not.
Old 21st January 2003
SawSlut

🎧 15 years
*Ahem*

Everyone forgets Ward Beck. The Eq's are ok, but the preamps are awesome.... not to mention DIRT CHEAP.
πŸ“ Reply