IEM's - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
IEM's
Old 16th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Question IEM's

Anyone have experience with IEM's?

The volume on my Furman HDS/R 16's seems too soft.

On my shure earbuds, they are severely bass light.

Anyone experience these problems before?
Old 17th January 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
What kind of IEM's and what else is in the rig? I have a Furman system here and getting it ear splitting loud is NOT a problem. Only one person has ever said it's not loud enough and the guy was mostly deaf anyway. He kept complaining and I couldn't get his phones anywhere near my ears. It's not uncommon for a set of headphones laying on the groud about 30' away to be heard if the door is open. I'm using the HDS-6 with ATHM40 and D40 cans, there are also a few pairs of Fostex T-20's around. If you can't get the HDS-6 loud enough then you or your clients are deaf or the cans are really high impedance like AKG's. There is a +4/-10 trim pot on the front panel. Are you sure it's set right?
Old 17th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
he-he,

I found my screw up. :eek:

1) I have some shure buds on a wireless and they weren't sealed in my ear canal which is where the bottom end begins to be heard.

2) I also must have had a routing problem on the Furman HDS/R-16 system as last night I went and played with it and it totally rocked.

Jay,
I appreciate the response but it is working fine. 1 Head with 5 mixers on the stage. This is paradise!

heh heh
Old 17th January 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Cool! FWIW, a lot of people have found that getting custom molds for IEM's is worth the extra money if you need the low end. Since the fit is better they need less volume and you get more low end.
Old 17th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Yeah, when I get some more cash!!.

One weird thing is that because I sing and play with them in, my voice comes across to me as hyped in the low mids. I have to turn up enough to cover my natural physical resonance to get the carity needed to carry pitch. It will take me a few weeks to get the system down. Having said that, I can already tell that I would never willingly go back to wedges for stage use.
Old 18th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ear Molds may help you a bit with the low mid thingy.. IIRC the molds help with the bottom end without having as much pressure on the ear ( so hopefully less resonance..) ( or, yeah what jay said.. note to self, read replies before posting...)

Glad to hear it is working, as a side note, i put the big furman system ( 8 mono 4 stereo) in a live room at a church group I work for that literally has bands 24 hours a day 7 days a week 365 days a year and they have been running since november 2001 without a hitch! IOW, those suckers last!
Old 19th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Steve, that's the same system I just got. I just spent a few hours today adjusting trims on my monitor board so the channels will be loud enough to pipe. (we had 'em kinda low) I got 5 mixers to cover all musicians and the singers should have a field day Sunday morning. I think I normally was running about 105db out of my 2 15" combo/monitors dead center on the stage. My hair actually looked like the TDK guy in the commercial. I guess they get a break now.

Thanks for the reliability report!!
Old 19th January 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by RSMITH123

One weird thing is that because I sing and play with them in, my voice comes across to me as hyped in the low mids. I have to turn up enough to cover my natural physical resonance to get the carity needed to carry pitch.
It's not that weird. I spent $150 for custom fit plugs which I love. But, when I first got them I was a bit disapointed with them. I had soooo many people tell me how great they were and it was like having nothing in. Bull****. The low-mid bump is still there and they take out a little more 5-8khz then I'd really care for and still take out some top. But A/B them to the foam plugs and they're right it is like having nothing in.
Old 20th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Well,
Our first live event went well with the IEM's. It was a rough start, but after some tweaking during rehearsal, things started to fall into place. I only had 2 real problems.

With the other guitarist, he had phones that had no isolation. He was telling me how he could hear the house while he is 20 feet behind em with phones on. I tried them on and noticed that I could still clearly hear every word someone next to me was saying in a conversation with someone else... even had great diction. LOL I will probably buy him a pair of REAL phones.

I was using the low end shure PSM200 system and it compresses way too easy. I think after another week or 2 it will be worked out to a science.

All in all, I would never go back.
πŸ“ Reply