The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Taking Monitors On Location
Old 11th April 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran ➑️
Any suggestions for a very small and light 2-channel monitor system that would at least semi-accurately translate a classical or jazz recording?
See my postings above... The Audioengine 2 is very small and definitely more than semi-accurate...

Daniel
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Oh missed that...only $200? Not bad. Thanks.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaukholm ➑️
Just finished hauling a 5.1 surround of scm20-2a with no one to help me, it did not help that two of them were stuck to the stands... long story
I will not have to go to the gym this week!
It seems like such a great idea every time
to add perspective to the story we are 4 flights of stairs and no parking allowed in front of the building.

When you say scaled down, does this mean you bring a full surround of scm50 or even larger?
Scaled-down usually means (2) scm-50s with (3) scm-20s. Luckily we have nice roadcases (with GREAT casters) for the ATCs. That wouldn't help much in the case of hauling speakers up four flights of stairs. It pays to stay in-shape!

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran ➑️
Any suggestions for a very small and light 2-channel monitor system that would at least semi-accurately translate a classical or jazz recording?
NHT M-00's are quite nice. A touch heavy, but small.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I fitted my speakers with PA mounts.. so I put them up on speaker stands.. works really well.
Attached Thumbnails
Taking Monitors On Location-picture-2.jpg  
Old 12th April 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Out of stock temporarily?

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_fu ➑️
. Did anyone tell you they are premanently out of stock or out of production? That would be a shame indeed, but I don't think that can be the case. Unless an MK II version is upcoming (maybe with a better protected tweeter...).
I've forgotten what they call themselves, but the Audio Engine home page people list the white and black as out of stock, and you can click a link to be notified when they have more. I think they've got the bamboo, ones, however. Nothing indicates they're changing or discontinuing them, but who knows?
Old 12th April 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
On the subject of location monitoring, I had a location choir recording yesterday.

I recently decided to change my approach wherever possible to include direct-comparison of the live source to the headphone (or speaker) feed of a stereo pair of mics.

With a very long microphone cable extension I was able to stand in front of the choir and adjust the microphones & volume level by alternately listening without headphones, then with headphones then without, etc, until there was a strong similarity between the two.

My headphone amps are basically 'callibrated' for the many pairs of (rugged) DT100s I use, which are isolated enough for the job.

Myself, my assistant and the choir-master took turns in this role and the final decision was left to the choir-master. He was of course surprised by this but obviously enthused to be consulted.

This approach enabled very good decisions as to direct-to-reverb levels, stereo imaging, etc.

There were no surprises on the workshop mains when I listened today.

Andy
Old 7th February 2021
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Bringing this thread up from a deep slumber...If you had a gig to take monitors with you now, what would they be? I've been bringing my kh-120s in the past, but have been looking for a slightly smaller monitor if they would give accurate enough presentation. I was just A-Bing my kh-120s with a borrowed pair of Genelec 8010a, and the presentation of the Genelecs is good from the octave above middle C and above, but below that they sound boxy and plastic. I think they would be too difficult to feel confident about during a recording gig. I don't need to mix on these monitors, but like to have them for monitoring recording and for musician playback, where they are mostly listening to their performance, but subconsciously I like to give them the best playback practical. I had a harp player tell me that it was the best their harp had sounded on a recording, I don't know if I would have gotten that feedback if I were using the 8010s for example. What are you packing these days (well nothing I know, with Covid, but if you were going out )?

Last edited by jheath; 9th February 2021 at 12:02 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 7th February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Eclipse TD-M1

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/eclipse-td-m1

Tom
Old 8th February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Due to the highly variable acoustic nature of on-location monitoring rooms (or presence of same, even !) plus additional setup time, extra gear to carry in etc... I typically use HD600 'phones.

A dedicated recording session (vs typical concert) would likely sway the balance toward speakers, for the additional advantage of performer playbacks.

I don't own either of the following two speakers.... but they seem to be likely contenders....

Neumann KH80: small size/weight plus recent addition of DSP tuning capability to (possibly ?) ameliorate some of the room's anomalies

DMAX Supercube 5's: a very new yet promising release so, despite 23 pages of GS user discussion, a relatively unknown quantity. Small size of the cubes is again attractive, and the requirement to use them in a very near field triangle should minimise room effects. Unfortunately it requires a (supplied) standalone amp/DSP processor, which could be accommodated in a suitable rack box...if you're already bringing in racked preamps, interfaces, and assuming you have 2U spare ?

DMAX Audio Introduces the Super Cubes 5 Active Near-Field monitors.

http://www.dmaxaudio.com/en/sc5

Sorry that this is speculative rather than lived experience....might be of interest regardless ?
Old 8th February 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Holy necro-thread, Batman!

I switched to Focal CMS 50 powered monitors many years ago. They are small, sturdy, and they tell me what I need to know. Mine came with a padded bag that makes them very easy to cart around.

David L. Rick
Seventh String Recording
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
i'm using anything from a single k+h O100d to a trio of fostex 6301nd's or then a pair or 5.1 set of genelec1029a/1091a - plus beyer dt150 headphones.

more importantly though: b&k mic, rme interface and smaart for measurement, lake lm44 speaker processor and a spl phonitor mini headphone amp, the latter mainly for it's crossfeed matrix, the former to adjust fr if working in acoustically poor situations.

a dk meter msd100 (or msd600 when working in surround) completes the monitoring chain.

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 9th February 2021 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: wording
Old 8th February 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Geithain RL906
Old 8th February 2021
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
All my rigs have Neumann KH120As. They are compact and pack a big punch.
Been very pleased ever since I got them which was when they first came out. I have always been a big fan of Klein + Hummel, so the Neumann branded speakers were the perfect solution for me.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness ➑️
All my rigs have Neumann KH120As.
Neumann KH120A also.
I can't imagine working with headphones 6 hours a day to produce a classical cd that most of people 'll listen on speakers...

Fred.
Old 8th February 2021
Gear Guru
Back in the 1980/90's I would bring my own monitors and power amps, JBL and Adcoms. I still use the Adcoms but now bring the Golden Ear Aon 2's, very small, 40~40k bandwidth. Far better resolution and imaging than the modified JBL's and smaller. No ports, I don't like ports.
www.goldenear.com
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Gigs have been closed down since I got them last winter, but I've brought them out a couple of time: Neumann KH80

I used to use Focal CMS40s but these are a huge improvement. They also seem to be indestructible. I had a keyboard player suddenly turn off the pads on his sampler DI and I was in the next room. All of a sudden I heard the sampler blasting crazy loud and then realized it was coming through my speakers.
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred2bern ➑️
Neumann KH120A also.
I can't imagine working with headphones 6 hours a day to produce a classical cd that most of people 'll listen on speakers...

Fred.
Yeah, never enjoyed wearing headphones, especially for long periods of time.
I monitor with speakers while my assistants listen on headphones while they may be soloing or checking other sources.
Old 9th February 2021
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I've enjoyed reading everyone's responses, and it seems that the prudent thing to do is to keep bringing my KH-120s to my (few) recording gigs. It looks like I'm in good company too. I may have to try the KH-80s at some point, but I certainly do like the 120s. I don't like monitoring all day on headphones either, and having speakers I know and trust along is worth the extra baggage.
Old 9th February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
All my rigs have Neumann KH120As. They are compact and pack a big punch.
Been very pleased ever since I got them which was when they first came out. I have always been a big fan of Klein + Hummel, so the Neumann branded speakers were the perfect solution for me.
I've been wanting to put a pair of KH120s in my truck if I ever get it up and running. How do you feel about the low end in a small space? I currently have Genelec 1031As in my truck, which I really like. I would probably keep both sets as an AB set.
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
For their size, the Neumann KH120As blow away the Genelec 1031As. And, I have a few pairs of 1031As just collecting dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler ➑️
I've been wanting to put a pair of KH120s in my truck if I ever get it up and running. How do you feel about the low end in a small space? I currently have Genelec 1031As in my truck, which I really like. I would probably keep both sets as an AB set.
Attached Thumbnails
Taking Monitors On Location-18-lcr-tbm.jpg   Taking Monitors On Location-31-some-tyler-action-goin-here-.jpg   Taking Monitors On Location-000-elroy-record-mix-rack.jpg   Taking Monitors On Location-000-big-bertha-meet-stool-marshall-.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
For their size, the Neumann KH120As blow away the Genelec 1031As. And, I have a few pairs of 1031As just collecting dust.
Well, I'm sold.
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Reach out to me anytime if you want to discuss this further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler ➑️
Well, I'm sold.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Reach out to me anytime if you want to discuss this further.
Whenever I see or hear the phrase "Reach Out" I automatically think of....

https://youtu.be/2EaflX0MWRo
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
I love that song!

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➑️
Whenever I see or hear the phrase "Reach Out" I automatically think of....

https://youtu.be/2EaflX0MWRo
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
important to note the former (in bold) imo - in terms of spl and fr, they are very similar.

off topic but since it's in the pic: does the soundcraft/uad live rack get much use when tracking or mainly when broadcasting/mixing?
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
I prefer to use the Soundcraft/UAD live rack for the broadcasting/mixing.

These days I rather track without any processing unless there's a specific sound the musician or producer may want to create during the origination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➑️
off topic but since it's in the pic: does the souncraft/uad live rack get much use when tracking or mainly for broadcasting/mixing?
Old 10th February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
unless there's a specific sound the musician or producer may want to create during the origination.
Hey! You are not planning on opening a West Coast office are you. Consider me for you CE.

More to the topic, I travel my fairly large and heavy Hafler TRM6 monitors, same as my mixing monitors. Oldies but goodies and I know exactly how they translate. I have a pair in the studio and a pair in a big Anvil case that goes in the trailer for big jobs. Mostly, headsets when I track and then back to mix in the studio. I'd love to try the Neumanns (either the 80s or the 120s), but I've gotta say, I am pretty happy with the Haflers.

D.
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
I had a couple of pairs of those Hafler TRM6; nice speakers. And, the Genelec 1031As, but the Neumann KH120As are the ticket for me. The size, the sound, the clarity and definition is what I like about them most. Two of them are about the same size as one Genelec 1031A. It's crazy how much punch you can get out of those speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot ➑️
I travel my fairly large and heavy Hafler TRM6 monitors, same as my mixing monitors. Oldies but goodies and I know exactly how they translate. I have a pair in the studio and a pair in a big Anvil case that goes in the trailer for big jobs. Mostly, headsets when I track and then back to mix in the studio. I'd love to try the Neumanns (either the 80s or the 120s), but I've gotta say, I am pretty happy with the Haflers.

D.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I had a couple of pairs of those Hafler TRM6; nice speakers. And, the Genelec 1031As, but the Neumann KH120As are the ticket for me. The size, the sound, the clarity and definition is what I like about them most. Two of them are about the same size as one Genelec 1031A. It's crazy how much punch you can get out of those speakers.
Damn, it! Now you have me thinking about selling my 1031As and getting a pair of the KH120s. I could probably pay for the 120s with what I get for the 1031As.

But I've got a couple of projects coming up over the next month that I don't want to be without them for. And I would rather have both.

Side topic...how small of a Pelican case do you think you could fit the 120s in? Would they fit in a 1510?
πŸ“ Reply