Quantcast
AKG "old style" mic letter naming conventions - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AKG "old style" mic letter naming conventions
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
AKG "old style" mic letter naming conventions

Lately I have been trying to get a picture of AKG's naming conventions, and especially with respect to the old/original C451 with the removable capsules. I am sure this is painfully obvious the most people here, but please educate me.

Could you please check my "home work"?

Taking the C451 as an example, but I suspect all this applies to the C414 as well. I assume that the "C" before the numbers means condenser, as opposed to "D" for dynamic.

The letters after the numbers:
C - Tüchel
E - XLR
L - Lemo
B - Bass roll of switch

So for example a C451EB is (was) a condenser microphone model 451 with an XLR connector and a bass roll-off switch (and a replaceable capsule, usually CK1 cardioid).

In this naming convention, the modern version C451B to my understanding is essentially a C451EB. Presumably with the disappearance of tüchel the distinction has been dropped, as well as it being a fixed cardioid without replaceable capsules.

Have I missed any variations in this naming convention?

Second question:
Is it safe to assume that an XLR connector ("C451E" or "C414E") will always be P48 phantom power and that a tüchel connector ("C451C" or "C414C") will always be T12 (12 volts T-Power, AB power, Tonaderspeissung)?

And honestly I have no idea where a lemo connector (C451L) fits in.

Regards, Christine
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi Christine,

You might find a general reference guide in these AKG collections ?

http://www.coutant.org/contents.html

http://www.coutant.org/akg2001cat/akg2001catalog.pdf
Old 3 weeks ago
"Second question:
Is it safe to assume that an XLR connector ("C451E" or "C414E") will always be P48 phantom power and that a tüchel connector ("C451C" or "C414C") will always be T12 (12 volts T-Power, AB power, Tonaderspeissung)?

And honestly I have no idea where a lemo connector (C451L) fits in."

The C451 has never been "only" a 48V phantom powered microphone. It is 9-52V phantom powered. I don't think AKG has ever made any C451 with Tonader, the tuchels were just 9-52V Phantom. The only type that was 100% 48V is named the C452, and was both in XLR and Tuchel.

The Lemo connectors were only made for the ORTF, the Austrian Broadcast network. They had a norm everything on Lemo and transformer coupled.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgeltonmeister ➡️
"Second question:

And honestly I have no idea where a lemo connector (C451L) fits in."

The C451 has never been "only" a 48V phantom powered microphone. It is 9-52V phantom powered. I don't think AKG has ever made any C451 with Tonader, the tuchels were just 9-52V Phantom. The only type that was 100% 48V is named the C452, and was both in XLR and Tuchel.

The Lemo connectors were only made for the ORTF, the Austrian Broadcast network. They had a norm everything on Lemo and transformer coupled.
Then there is the C 414 EB P48
Quote:
Originally Posted by sounddguy ➡️
Then there is the C 414 EB P48
Yes that is true. But Christine asked about the C45X series. I should have written:

The C451 that was 100% 48V is named the C452, and was both in XLR and Tuchel.

The problem with AKG's 9-52V is, when you use a C451 on 48V the amount current is so high that your 48V phantom power drops to something like 17V. So some broadcasters demanded pure 48V versions.

I use myself an Audio Developments desk and all AKG's I have run on 12V phantom power for that special reason.

I think it was David Satz who describes somewhere on the Klaus Heyne forum how to modify AKG's 9-52V to P48 only.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
The problem with AKG's 9-52V is, when you use a C451 on 48V the amount current is so high that your 48V phantom power drops to something like 17V. So some broadcasters demanded pure 48V versions.
The other day I read on the Sound Devices website (here) that the C451E draws 10mA of power (). According to that the C451EB draws 5mA. So apparently AKG changed something between those versions, more than just adding a bass roll-off switch.

I am assuming this also applied to the C451 with a Tüchel connector.

Regards, Christine
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hey @ connloyalist how have you been? PM me to know what forum I used to be at.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sadly the AKG alphabet soup wasn't always terribly logical. For example all D19s that I know of have a built-in bass filter, but in this case the letter B seems to indicate something else, as you never find for example a D19EB. There are D19C and D19E and D19B, but the B models often have small DIN connectors like the C model. Other dynamics like the D202 and D224 also have a bass filter but no B.

Also, I've never got to the bottom of why some AKG models were called Comb, or what that was supposed to mean.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peller ➡️
Also, I've never got to the bottom of why some AKG models were called Comb, or what that was supposed to mean.
I think the notation Comb stands for both a high pass filter and a pad that was combined in one switch. So it was on the first position linear (LIN), the next was 75 Hz cut off and the last position was minus 10 dB pad. This is on the C426 Comb stereo microphone. You cannot use both 75 Hz and minus 10 dB pad at the same time. A cheap solution to fix both a pad and 75 Hz filter with one switch.

To pad the old C451/452 series you needed an adaptor that was mounted between the capsule and the conditioning amplifier. So therefore you did not see a C451 Comb.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
To pad the old C451/452 series you needed an adaptor that was mounted between the capsule and the conditioning amplifier. So therefore you did not see a C451 Comb.
Try Googling it -- there definitely was a C451 Comb.

In this case it seems logical that the word refers to the combination of body and capsule, so a C451E Comb would be the complete mic rather than just the body. But if so then it must mean something else with respect to the C426 Comb or the C414 Comb... baffling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peller ➡️
Try Googling it -- there definitely was a C451 Comb.

In this case it seems logical that the word refers to the combination of body and capsule, so a C451E Comb would be the complete mic rather than just the body. But if so then it must mean something else with respect to the C426 Comb or the C414 Comb... baffling.
It will always stay a mystery I assume. I googled and found indeed documentation: https://www.barryrudolph.com/recall/manuals/akg451e.pdf

.....but from the brochure I cannot decifer what the comb. is about. Actually I have never seen it printed on an AKG C451/452 and for a bit deeper research I took my old C426 in my hands and it does not say anything about Comb on the microphone body. It is engraved on the body: C426 B not any mentioning of Comb. If it has anything to do with different capsules, like you can combine the C451 body with capsules, why is the stereo microphone be named C426 Comb? Maybe because of a microphone suspension?
📝 Reply