Quantcast
Wanna use ipad as secondary touch screen - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Wanna use ipad as secondary touch screen
Old 4 days ago
Wanna use ipad as secondary touch screen

I am using Logic pro x in an m1 macbook pro and I want to use my ipad as a secondary touch screen to input notes in piano roll in Logic.

How can I make this work?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Logic Remote app?
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbylabby ➡️
Logic Remote app?
I already use Logic Remote.
I wanna draw in midi notes in LPX via my iPad.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Draw as piano roll? I’m not sure… but playing notes from logic remote and get recorded at logic should be possible.

Explain a bit more the expected workflow so I can try to recreate it, please…
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You can use a free VNC app or something like Chrome Remote Desktop for this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbylabby ➡️
Draw as piano roll? I’m not sure… but playing notes from logic remote and get recorded at logic should be possible.

Explain a bit more the expected workflow so I can try to recreate it, please…
I know I can play the keyboard on Logic remote, or the guitar and record it. Next to playing those instruments "live" on the fly I am also a "programmeur".

Bos what do I mean with being a "programmeur":
I draw in midi noord in piano roll as wel.I do it with the Track Pad and with my mouse.

For instance, in garageband piano roll on ipad I can open a piano roll and 1 tap on the grid is a midi Note draw in
2 quick taps is to delete a midi Note. Grab the end of the midi note to make it longer. Tap & Hold midi niet in the Middle to change articulation ( I think this works like a Ctrl+click in Logic.

This is soooo much more efficiënt and quick er than using a mouse or a trackpad.

I know I can open Garageband projects in Logic Pro X but that is not what I want.

I just found out there is an app called Duet Display, tried it many years ago and the it was laggy.
Old 4 days ago
I tried Chrome Remote Desktop and it is totally not responsive in Logic Pro X.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry123 ➡️
You can use a free VNC app or something like Chrome Remote Desktop for this.
I tried Chrome Remote Desktop and that's not working,
I got chrome Remote working but its unresponsive to Logic Pro x.
What stands VNC for?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiussound ➡️
I tried Chrome Remote Desktop and that's not working,
I got chrome Remote working but its unresponsive to Logic Pro x.
What stands VNC for?
Virtual Network Computing.

It's like screen sharing, similar to Chrome Remote.
Curious what didn't work when you tried Chrome?

There are a couple of different VNC apps for ipad you can try, it should let you use your computer replacing your mouse input with touch screen functionality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry123 ➡️
Virtual Network Computing.

It's like screen sharing, similar to Chrome Remote.
Curious what didn't work when you tried Chrome?

There are a couple of different VNC apps for ipad you can try, it should let you use your computer replacing your mouse input with touch screen functionality.
Hi
I set everything up with Chrome remote and I could open internet tabs, do some basic osx stuff.
When I dragged the Piano Roll to the ipad nothing happened when I clicks, same with the logic Main Tracks window.

Is it possible to give a few VNC app-names please?
Thanks
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
You could try using the iPad with SideCar - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210380
You would have to use an Apple Pencil (of appropriate type) to tap the notes in the Piano Roll.

Thanks for asking the question! I will have another, nifty use for an iPad I just ordered. I am getting closer to deciding that the "best" control surface for Logic Pro is 2 or 3 iPads.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Ok, it seems no piano roll for remote, just step sequencer… so vnc like sidecar, splashtop, duet…

I have luna display because I’m late12 mac mini and iPad mini4. No pencil… but it seems quite useful (maybe I should upgrade almost to mini5?)

I used splashtop 3 back in the day with Traktor (also some lemur dedicated templates) but in the end the mouse was the best option… so are you using headless mac? Why not to combine both (mouse for piano roll and remote for the rest)?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hi
I set everything up with Chrome remote and I could open internet tabs, do some basic osx stuff.
When I dragged the Piano Roll to the ipad nothing happened when I clicks, same with the logic Main Tracks window.

Is it possible to give a few VNC app-names please?
Thanks
https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/vnc-vi...op/id352019548
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I was able to test SideCar and Apple Pencil on a Piano Roll window. Seems to do exactly what OP asked for. Added bonus - Touch Bar commands. If you have a keyboard attached to the iPad you can do control-command-option-shift-Touch Bar as well - I'm sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by facej ➡️
I was able to test SideCar and Apple Pencil on a Piano Roll window. Seems to do exactly what OP asked for. Added bonus - Touch Bar commands. If you have a keyboard attached to the iPad you can do control-command-option-shift-Touch Bar as well - I'm sold
So it seems I need an Apple pencil. Thanks.
First I am going to try few other VNC programs and of they don't work I go for - apple pencil 🙂
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Quote:

Hi I tried thuis app it works. Only downside for me is that there is a mouse pointer that you have to control in stead of a finger-mouse
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
So it seems I need an Apple pencil. Thanks.
First I am going to try few other VNC programs and of they don't work I go for - apple pencil 🙂
There are lots of things that you can do with an iPad and an Apple Pencil - useful for taking notes while listening to a mix. Many other really useful things too.
📝 Reply