The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Binaural / Dummyhead
Old 29th March 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Binaural / Dummyhead

First time recording with a binaural/dummyhead setup.
Two LOM mikroUši pro, on a set of sports-earphones [the holders only], into Fostex FR2LE.
The IV/P/149 Kevelaer Basilika organ is behind you, recorded sitting in the middle of the left row of seats.
No [high pitch] mixture stops used in the program.
Attached Thumbnails
Binaural / Dummyhead-lom-binaurals.jpg   Binaural / Dummyhead-kevelaer.jpg  
Attached Files

fragm.mp3 (4.98 MB, 1288 views)

Last edited by heva; 29th March 2019 at 09:48 PM..
Old 29th March 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nice immersive and tangible LF energy from the organ, an impressive debut for those mics !

Last edited by studer58; 30th March 2019 at 03:14 PM..
Old 29th March 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nice recording Heva! (You're no 'dummy' ) Do you get a stiff neck from doing a long binaural session? I would think I could sit still without moving my head for a maximum of ten minutes. Well done.
Old 29th March 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Indeed, not moving the head is quite the excercise, not sure this will become a more frequent modus operandi. One thing that struck me is that the mics are crazy sensitive (for what I know); almost no mic gain needed.

Last edited by heva; 29th March 2019 at 08:32 PM..
Old 27th September 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A binaural sample with this headset in quite a large german cathedral :-) seated on the choirstage at the side of the building. The picture shows the actual 'view' (from where seated).
The partyhorns at the beginning are some 100 meters away at the left [say at 09:00].
Use headphones please.
Attached Thumbnails
Binaural / Dummyhead-4711.jpg  
Attached Files

4711.mp3 (4.83 MB, 894 views)

Last edited by heva; 15th October 2019 at 09:30 PM.. Reason: typos
Old 27th September 2019
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
A friend has just made a recording there, a Jake Purches, /Jean Paul Imbert organist).
not sure what mikes, senny's prob, he is making an SA-CD/CD/Reel to reel @ 15ips
Old 27th September 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Peter: Looking back at emails (Jake and I have been pals since kids!), I think he used five 8020s for Jean-Paul Imbert at Kevelaer Basilika (surround and stereo). Here's a snatch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miptBKH4jUg

Heva: What capsules are in LOM mikroUši pro mics? Obviously too small for EM172s, and - as the specs (an appearance) match those of LOM mikroUši pro - I guess they use Primo EM258s.

Cheers,

Roland
Old 27th September 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't know for a fact, but I think it's indeed Primo EM258. With some added electronics for XLR and p48.

BTW. the sample I just shared is NOT in Kevelaer :-)
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by heva ➡️
I don't know for a fact, but I think it's indeed Primo EM258. With some added electronics for XLR and p48.

BTW. the sample I just shared is NOT in Kevelaer :-)
Thanks, Heva. And, yes, I realized that the second photo wasn't Kevelaer: surely Cologne?

Cheers,

Roland
Old 27th September 2019
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I like how there is a definite sense of the organ sound coming from behind the listener.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolksoundman9 ➡️
Peter: Looking back at emails (Jake and I have been pals since kids!), I think he used five 8020s for Jean-Paul Imbert at Kevelaer Basilika (surround and stereo). Here's a snatch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miptBKH4jUg

Cheers,

Roland
Jake and I have only recently met (a few days ago at a Hi Fi show) his recordings are a breath of fresh air to quite a few, and he uses quality gear to capture the sound
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush ➡️
I like how there is a definite sense of the organ sound coming from behind the listener.
Thanks!
The ultra low bass inthere (64’ stop available) seems to come as from beneath/outside the building, like an earthquake.
Old 2nd November 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolksoundman9 ➡️
Thanks, Heva. And, yes, I realized that the second photo wasn't Kevelaer: surely Cologne?

Cheers,

Roland
Sure.
📝 Reply