Quantcast
Merging Anubis - Page 64 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Merging Anubis
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailspn ➡️
Does SoundID have pre canned EQ curves for popular headphones; like Senn HD600? Or is the EQ customized for the individual's hearing (loss).

Thanks!
I bought a set of headphone from Sonarworks and they send a personal calibration file for those specific headphone. You can also send your own headphone to them and they will create a calibration file for them.

But they also do have a lists of headphones where they have taken the average. You select one and set it up on your computer in SoundID and then export it to the Anubis.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by INARI ➡️
Both.
First, you can choose your favorite headphones, and then you can fine-tune them manually.

Here's a list of them.
https://www.sonarworks.com/soundid/supported-headphones

Unless it's very new or unusual, it's generally there.
To what extent can you fine-tune?

Calibrated is nice, but we don't even know what they target curve is? So calibration is to what exactly?

Even if you can fine tune, if we don't know the exact target curve, any tuning will be mostly by ear only?
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by louderjamz ➡️

Calibrated is nice, but we don't even know what they target curve is? So calibration is to what exactly?

Even if you can fine tune, if we don't know the exact target curve, any tuning will be mostly by ear only?

why don't you know what the target curve is ?

The curves are made up of averages of headphones that Sonarworks have tested. There are list of the available curves on their website.

https://www.sonarworks.com/soundid-r...ted-headphones

You can read on their website how they do it as well.

If you own one of those headphones you can use it. If you do not then you cannot unless you either buy a set of headphones from Sonarworks (in which case they send an exact calibration file for those specific headphones which is not an average) or you send them your headphones and they will send them back with a calibration file for them.

Then you can select how you want the phase and add any extra eq points you feel you might want. Maybe you decide you want more bass after the calibration has been applied. Then you can export that to Anubis.

But the software is also for room calibration, in fact mostly for room calibration, that is what is was originally created for. You measure your room using a calibration mic and their software and it will create a calibration file based on your room for your monitors. Then you can adjust that by adding extra eq points or moving the filter so it will not calibrate the high end or bass as much. Then you can have the listening spot updated and the phase alignment and send that to the Anubis too.

Now your Anubis can have the room calibration on main outs 1 + 2 and your headphone calibration on either phones 1 or phones 2.
Gear Nut

Quote:

I'm drunk right now, so if at all possible, please download Sonarworks and try it out for yourself and see for yourself.
You can probably try it for free for a couple of weeks.

I'm probably going to say the wrong thing now.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlienyc ➡️
If you have a PC made in the last 10 or so years, the NIC will autodetect what's on the other end. Therefore there's no need for a crossover cable.

Brace yourself for the driver & networking hurdles you'll need to clear to get audio passing through, though. These boxes are anything but plug and play, at least for now.
Gah....

Yeah well, I can't seem to get Aneman to see the Anubis! It's still on an old firmware but I've installed on my PC the latest MAD, Aneman etc.

I can control the Anubis via the browser interface but not make connections in Aneman.

It's a direct connection so MAD is in Ravenna mode. And it's Monitor Mission which doesn't work with Unite.

Can I update the Anubis firmware without Aneman? And install Music-Mission? I started watching a video on updating the firmware but they just connected ethernet and there it was in their Aneman.. I stopped the vid at that point!

I guess I will start going through this thread for answers....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I just had hell using anubis with the old firmware and new MAD on a new pc, and consequently the anubis with new firmware and older mad/aneman on older pc.

The weirdest things, even being unable to make simply audio connections, and cryptic messages on anubis, like contact tech support, unable to connect internal streams.

I would try to install older mad/aneman and try to update firmware from there ?

I wish Merging would release clear and consice documents what to do whenever updates are available, and in which order.

Probably they do not realize themselves.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick ➡️
I just had hell using anubis with the old firmware and new MAD on a new pc, and consequently the anubis with new firmware and older mad/aneman on older pc.

The weirdest things, even being unable to make simply audio connections, and cryptic messages on anubis, like contact tech support, unable to connect internal streams.

I would try to install older mad/aneman and try to update firmware from there ?

I wish Merging would release clear and consice documents what to do whenever updates are available, and in which order.

Probably they do not realize themselves.
Thank, I'll give that a go!
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat8808 ➡️

Can I update the Anubis firmware without Aneman?

I guess I will start going through this thread for answers....
Enter your Anubis IP address into your browser and type :8080 ,it is port number.
It will probably work.
Attached Thumbnails
Merging Anubis-2021-10-03_23-57-55.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

By the way, I found hentai comic book called aneman.
Due to Gearslutz's terms, I can't post the link here, but if you search "Hentai comic aneman" on google, it does exist.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by once a roadie ➡️
Any way to connect a lucid 88192 to the Anubis?
No. Anubis has no digital IO (HAPI does, I'm getting a HAPI shortly and will be connecting one 88192 via ADAT and a second 88192 via AES).
Gear Maniac

Part of the new Anubis firmware is improved fan speed regulation for internal cooling.

Anyone noticed an improvement and if so, how so?

Quieter fan noise?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

by the way, I see that the goal about decoding ambisonics is missing from the release note.
It may be that they simply missed it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Does this only work with the latest version of SoundID, or can I use Sonarworks Reference 4 with my Anubis?
I've been trying to find that information, but it doesn't seem to be out there.
Thanks!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by disp ➡️
Does this only work with the latest version of SoundID, or can I use Sonarworks Reference 4 with my Anubis?
I've been trying to find that information, but it doesn't seem to be out there.
Thanks!
I think only with SoundID, since it is the only one that includes the option to export the file that you must upload later in Anubis.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
alright, thanks. guess it's time to upgrade then
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
TLS
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
New firmware and driver update out today.

https://www.merging.com/support/down...ubis-downloads
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Hello Anubis users! I'm thinking of taking the plunge on one but, after reading this whole thread, have one big question (for now)... Is it true that it's best to use a dedicated computer with this device? I'm sure it is best practice, but I unfortunately only have one good computer and it still have wi-fi and the internet on it, as well as other software (Photoshop, AutoCAD etc). If it's truly a Bad Idea to use the Anubis with a multi-use computer that might be a deal-breaker... but it ticks all the other boxes for me so hopefully poor reliability in this scenario has been overstated. Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences!
Gear Maniac

Is it me or are these merging guys good in sound/ build quality but not in user experience? After using uad I feel things could be way easier to handle than what merging does..
For example it still takes me a few minutes every time I need to reconnect the device.
Really like the device for a lot of reasons but its just not as easy as it could be in opinion. Hope that the future will solve this..
TLS
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphs ➡️
Hello Anubis users! I'm thinking of taking the plunge on one but, after reading this whole thread, have one big question (for now)... Is it true that it's best to use a dedicated computer with this device? I'm sure it is best practice, but I unfortunately only have one good computer and it still have wi-fi and the internet on it, as well as other software (Photoshop, AutoCAD etc). If it's truly a Bad Idea to use the Anubis with a multi-use computer that might be a deal-breaker... but it ticks all the other boxes for me so hopefully poor reliability in this scenario has been overstated. Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences!
I am using it on a computer which is used for everything else. I did end up buying a dedicated network card for it however which was under $20.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS ➡️
I am using it on a computer which is used for everything else. I did end up buying a dedicated network card for it however which was under $20.
I'll be using a laptop via thunderbolt adaptor for a while ... then prob a mac mini so that's not an option for me. But good to know it is possible.
TLS
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I'll be using a laptop via thunderbolt adaptor for a while ... then prob a mac mini so that's not an option for me. But good to know it is possible.
Could probably do a USB3 to Gigabit ethernet adapter for under $20 too.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS ➡️
Could probably do a USB3 to Gigabit ethernet adapter for under $20 too.
True! Thanks for the input. I'm stoked to make the switch! Still a little intimidated by the set-up process, but stoked nonetheless.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Not that it matters, but the PDF manual in the VAD3.04 dmg file is still 3.03.
According to the separate download from the Merging.com login form, it seems to be compatible with OSX11.6, so I updated my OS immediately.

It's working fine. yay.
Gear Maniac

So i am happy with my Anubis (besides some software things) and bought it because it is more portable /simple than an JCF AD8 solution, wich I still prefer sound wise. But my thought is that if the Anubis is like hifi and the JCF is analog also because of the cinemag transformers in it, it might be possible to put some device (500 preferable) in front of the Anubis and have some kind of both flavors.

Did anyone else had the same idea or experience with a device that could fit these needs? Yes it kinda like asking you for your favorite meal.. but I still wanted to give it a try. Every idea welcome. rnd 542 or a color module (hitmaker/pentode) are looking tempting so far.. please let me know your thoughts!

(not sure if I asked something similar here already or somewhere else)

Cheers!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hifi is the opposite to analogue? i thought a lot of audiophiles were all about high fidelity analogue gear and will spend tens of thousands of dollars on just consumables like moving coil cartridges..

Or are you suggesting analogue gear just doesnt cut it to be called high fidelity

If you want to add lots analogue outboard to a set-up to colour sound (i.e. non-transparent gear), then that's not really a question about the Anubis.. but the anubis is a good option because it has an internal mix engine, enough i/o and very transparent convertion that will allow you to send audio to outboard within the device itself without the Anubis getting in the way.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPetz ➡️
But my thought is that if the Anubis is like hifi
Cheers!
This part made me chuckle.

If you watch the interviews below with Dr. Klaus Heinz (ADAM Audio founder, now HEDD Audio founder) - he jokes that calling something HiFi is often considered an insult, i.e. something is not considered transparent if it is considered to sound "HiFi".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU5dWrePni4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPJu7OUSZU0
Gear Maniac

Quote:
This part made me chuckle.

If you watch the interviews below with Dr. Klaus Heinz (ADAM Audio founder, now HEDD Audio founder) - he jokes that calling something HiFi is often considered an insult, i.e. something is not considered transparent if it is considered to sound "HiFi".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU5dWrePni4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPJu7OUSZU0
Sorry I might used the wrong word here.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Sorry I might used the wrong word here.
No problem at all.

It's not a bad word. It just reminded me of that Klaus interview comment, which made me laugh when I watched it.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
So i am happy with my Anubis (besides some software things) and bought it because it is more portable /simple than an JCF AD8 solution, wich I still prefer sound wise. But my thought is that if the Anubis is like hifi and the JCF is analog also because of the cinemag transformers in it, it might be possible to put some device (500 preferable) in front of the Anubis and have some kind of both flavors.

Did anyone else had the same idea or experience with a device that could fit these needs? Yes it kinda like asking you for your favorite meal.. but I still wanted to give it a try. Every idea welcome. rnd 542 or a color module (hitmaker/pentode) are looking tempting so far.. please let me know your thoughts!

(not sure if I asked something similar here already or somewhere else)

Cheers!
the anubis - like most any other modern digital equiment - aims at NOT imparting much (or any) noticeable 'sound' on its own but at getting input and output to sound/measure (almost) identical.

use whatever 'colour box' you like in front of it...
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
True! Thanks for the input. I'm stoked to make the switch! Still a little intimidated by the set-up process, but stoked nonetheless.
Just wanted to pop back in and say that I went for it! Purchased the Anubis Pro today and after only a couple hours of setup it seems to be working perfectly.

It sounds very, very good.
📝 Reply