The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Live 11
Old 6th May 2021 | Show parent
  #361
Gear Addict
 
Rentzen's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spnc ➡️
Just get a powerful M1 like everyone, and it runs flawlessly trust me...

It beats 10 in all departments, I never had a crash with 11 in 3 months... whereas I had many a day with 10.
Old 6th May 2021 | Show parent
  #362
Gear Maniac
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentzen ➡️
If you need some money to buy one, I might have some bucks in my pockets... there you go
Old 6th May 2021 | Show parent
  #363
Gear Addict
 
Rentzen's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spnc ➡️
If you need some money to buy one, I might have some bucks in my pockets... there you go
Just PM me and we can arrange something

Actually, I am waiting (...and waiting and waiting and can hardly wait no more) for the M2, because my work will buy one for me, so for now I have to live with my old one (which LIVE 11 should be able to get along with, without problems).
Old 6th May 2021 | Show parent
  #364
Gear Maniac
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentzen ➡️
Just PM me and we can arrange something

Actually, I am waiting (...and waiting and waiting and can hardly wait no more) for the M2, because my work will buy one for me, so for now I have to live with my old one (which LIVE 11 should be able to get along with, without problems).
It's called M1X and yes I agree with you, with 12/16 core and 16inch it will be even better... I understand your point but really since most developers fixed their firmware compatibility with M1 it really has been a game changer for me in terms of speed and stability.
Old 6th May 2021 | Show parent
  #365
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spnc ➡️
Just get a powerful M1 like everyone, and it runs flawlessly trust me...

It beats 10 in all departments, I never had a crash with 11 in 3 months... whereas I had many a day with 10.
Ive been lucky, my i7 pc has been great with 11. But i plan to invest in a new maxxed out imac to really push things to the next level.
Old 6th May 2021
  #366
Gear Guru
 
henryrobinett's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
How much is the upgrade from 10?
Old 6th May 2021 | Show parent
  #367
Gear Maniac
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett ➡️
How much is the upgrade from 10?
229 usd
Old 6th May 2021 | Show parent
  #368
Gear Guru
 
henryrobinett's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spnc ➡️
229 usd
Yeah. I was hoping that wasn't right. LOL.
Old 7th May 2021 | Show parent
  #369
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spnc ➡️
229 usd

That's for Live 7-10 Suite to 11 Suite.


Live 1-10 Standard to 11 Standard is $159.


(Suite version was introduced with Live 7, that's why you can only upgrade from 7-10 Suite, there is no "Live 6 Suite" or earlier.)
Old 10th May 2021 | Show parent
  #370
Deleted 8f26fee
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by spnc ➡️
It beats 10 in all departments, I never had a crash with 11 in 3 months... whereas I had many a day with 10.
This is my experience too. 10 was sooooooo crash prone. 11 is rock solid.

No M1 here. Just a 6 year old i7. Working great.
Old 10th May 2021 | Show parent
  #371
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
If Live 10 crashes at all you have a problem. While occasionally I see Live 10 crashes in macOS (10.12 and 10.14), these are very rare. This is true also for Live 8 and Live 9 previously in earlier OS X installations on other machines (8 years of only Live usage). There have been bouts of crashes through the years, that always could be fixed by analyzing the setup and removing or updating plug-ins and the few times when this wasn't possible, by resetting or reinstalling everything. I find Live to be very stable, if clearly wanting more CPU compared to some other DAWs.

I haven't found Live 11 to ask for more CPU, dropout more nor crash, but I haven't done a large number of sessions with it.

I think the idea that "It works with 10, so 11 must be useless" to be understandable, but quite thin as analyses go when facing issues. Every single major new version of Live has come with this kind of sentiments. I'm sure out of real reasons in many cases and I do think Ableton should be more on top of it and make sure important plug-ins (many thousands, I know) do work on a wide range of CPUs. Not all users have the experience to fix these kinds of issues.

Generally, I do think Live might be more sensitive to Interrupt issues (hardware interrupts and Deferred Procedure Calls or DPCs), so I'd look at that first, even when other versions of Live or other DAWs doesn't have this.
Old 10th May 2021 | Show parent
  #372
Gear Maniac
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B ➡️
If Live 10 crashes at all you have a problem. While occasionally I see Live 10 crashes in macOS (10.12 and 10.14), these are very rare. This is true also for Live 8 and Live 9 previously in earlier OS X installations on other machines (8 years of only Live usage). There have been bouts of crashes through the years, that always could be fixed by analyzing the setup and removing or updating plug-ins and the few times when this wasn't possible, by resetting or reinstalling everything. I find Live to be very stable, if clearly wanting more CPU compared to some other DAWs.

I haven't found Live 11 to ask for more CPU, dropout more nor crash, but I haven't done a large number of sessions with it.

I think the idea that "It works with 10, so 11 must be useless" to be understandable, but quite thin as analyses go when facing issues. Every single major new version of Live has come with this kind of sentiments. I'm sure out of real reasons in many cases and I do think Ableton should be more on top of it and make sure important plug-ins (many thousands, I know) do work on a wide range of CPUs. Not all users have the experience to fix these kinds of issues.

Generally, I do think Live might be more sensitive to Interrupt issues (hardware interrupts and Deferred Procedure Calls or DPCs), so I'd look at that first, even when other versions of Live or other DAWs doesn't have this.
We don't have a problem. We have 11, which works flawlessly.
Old 11th May 2021 | Show parent
  #373
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Live 11 is a mess.

I spend about half my workday every day cajoling it into loading projects by restarting and remaking live sets by dragging tracks one by one because it crashes all the time on every single plugin I own.

I have tried every troubleshooting step that I know about on my end to no success. Reinstall plugins, reinstall Live, toss preferences, use Au / VST / VST3, use different user accounts, no changes.

Support tells me they can't do anything bc 3rd party plugins are causing the crashes.

I point out to them that every single plugin I own is showing up in crash reports and that I had no problems with Live 10 and continue to use those (popular and major manufacturer) plugins in Logic and Premiere.

Many of my friends on 11 report similar problems.

What am I supposed to do ?

Anyone have any tips ?
Old 11th May 2021 | Show parent
  #374
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oratowsky ➡️
Live 11 is a mess.

I spend about half my workday every day cajoling it into loading projects by restarting and remaking live sets by dragging tracks one by one because it crashes all the time on every single plugin I own.

I have tried every troubleshooting step that I know about on my end to no success. Reinstall plugins, reinstall Live, toss preferences, use Au / VST / VST3, use different user accounts, no changes.

Support tells me they can't do anything bc 3rd party plugins are causing the crashes.

I point out to them that every single plugin I own is showing up in crash reports and that I had no problems with Live 10 and continue to use those (popular and major manufacturer) plugins in Logic and Premiere.

Many of my friends on 11 report similar problems.

What am I supposed to do ?

Anyone have any tips ?
Which plugins? Which OS Version?
Old 11th May 2021 | Show parent
  #375
Deleted 8f26fee
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by oratowsky ➡️
Live 11 is a mess.

I spend about half my workday every day cajoling it into loading projects by restarting and remaking live sets by dragging tracks one by one because it crashes all the time on every single plugin I own.

I have tried every troubleshooting step that I know about on my end to no success. Reinstall plugins, reinstall Live, toss preferences, use Au / VST / VST3, use different user accounts, no changes.

Support tells me they can't do anything bc 3rd party plugins are causing the crashes.

I point out to them that every single plugin I own is showing up in crash reports and that I had no problems with Live 10 and continue to use those (popular and major manufacturer) plugins in Logic and Premiere.

Many of my friends on 11 report similar problems.

What am I supposed to do ?

Anyone have any tips ?
This demonstrates one of the biggest problems I've had with Live. Other modern DAW's (Reaper for instance) would enable you to troubleshoot this in 5 minutes. The plugin itself would crash but it wouldn't take down the host. And you'd get a specific error message telling you which plugin was causing the problem. Problem solved

Live on the other hand just crashes with no useful information about what happened or why. And I've gotten the same reply from their support team, so it doesn't seem like the crash reports have any more useful information that they're able to glean.

Much was fixed in 11, but not this.
Old 12th May 2021 | Show parent
  #376
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
One can always check the log file to see if a plugin is mentioned. If you wanna go to deeper, you can open the dmp file from the crash in windbg, which will tell you exactly what happened
Old 13th May 2021 | Show parent
  #377
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
The crash reports do report which plugin thread hangs.

Every crash report it's a different plugin.

It happens on all plugins I own.

I'm on Catalina.

I don't know what to do
Old 25th May 2021 | Show parent
  #378
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by oratowsky ➡️
Live 11 is a mess.

I spend about half my workday every day cajoling it into loading projects by restarting and remaking live sets by dragging tracks one by one because it crashes all the time on every single plugin I own.

I have tried every troubleshooting step that I know about on my end to no success. Reinstall plugins, reinstall Live, toss preferences, use Au / VST / VST3, use different user accounts, no changes.

Support tells me they can't do anything bc 3rd party plugins are causing the crashes.

I point out to them that every single plugin I own is showing up in crash reports and that I had no problems with Live 10 and continue to use those (popular and major manufacturer) plugins in Logic and Premiere.

Many of my friends on 11 report similar problems.

What am I supposed to do ?

Anyone have any tips ?
Not something I’ve done, but I’ve heard switching to Bitwig (built by ex-Ableton devs) is the way to go - it handles plugin crashes separately so you reload within the program without the whole thing crashing
Old 26th May 2021
  #379
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
FWIW, I did fix a lot of my issues by disabling all plugins and re-enabling them, forcing Live to rescan everything.

I still get crashes though and when I do I do that step again and after several attempts it works.

Really hope these issues get fixed, many people report the same.
Old 26th May 2021
  #380
I’m surprised by reports of Live 11 crashing for some users here. I have to say, I don’t think I’ve had a crash with Live 11 yet. I’m running an iMac i7 4.2ghz and Mojave. Tons of plugins. Super smooth. Use it everyday.
Old 26th May 2021 | Show parent
  #381
Lives for gear
 
Calagan's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Same here.
No issues with Live 11 (at least, not more than with Live 10 : it's crashing sometime when my CPU is on the verge of melting because of a too intensive set).

I'm using an Intel macbook pro, mid-2012 version, running Mojave.

But if some people have issues, it means there is some configurations where Live 11 is not working as it should.
Ableton support team should find why and how to fix it...

The strange thing is, reading the people's posts, I don't see any pattern that could explain the issues : people with the exact same config as me have problems while I don't have, they can run Mac, Windows, Intel, AMD... There's no clear pattern.
It's a very strange problem...
Old 31st May 2021 | Show parent
  #382
Never seen as crash in Live

I've never seen Live crash. Not once. Mind you I am not a huge plugins user, which seems to be a common thread. I do have a few, but tend to use them very sparingly.
Old 31st May 2021 | Show parent
  #383
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by awfurby ➡️
I've never seen Live crash. Not once. Mind you I am not a huge plugins user, which seems to be a common thread. I do have a few, but tend to use them very sparingly.
I've seen all DAWs I've used crash a few times at least, but usually it's related to something and is not inherent to the DAW in question.
People look at their experience and assume it's true also elsewhere. I can understand that. However, with Live I believe crashes can typically be fixed.

I don't recognize Ableton support stating plugins that don't crash 10, and crashes in 11, isn't possible to fix. On the contrary, in the rare circumstances where I've had recurring problems they've been quite helpful and informative. Even better the support from the makers of the crashing plug-ins, for example Waves (involves having Waves plug-ins in the default template. Don't do it. I have no crashes otherwise with Waves).

This not to say someone else's situation couldn't be different. I expect Live to not crash and if it does that anyway, I fix it. Then I have months and months with great operation, just like with other DAWs.

Last edited by Mikael B; 7th June 2021 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: language
Old 31st May 2021 | Show parent
  #384
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
This helped me the other night where a specific set crashed: How to reset Live.
Old 31st May 2021
  #385
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
In Catalina some plugins crash L11. It’s probably more about Catalina than Live, but it is annoying. Vital crashed L11 untill Matt added option to disable online connection that crashed L11.

Other than that, L11 have been pretty good.
Old 16th February 2022 | Show parent
  #386
Lives for gear
 
IM WHO YOU THINK's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab ➡️
Its not the softwares fault. And its not pdc. You arent even talking about tight timing here but the feel of a specific sequencer. You could just make the tracks on an mpc and record into ableton with a sync box if you arent able to get the feel right itb. But this is not an ableton issue.

Try the grooves from mars pack. Its got grooves from all kinds of machines.
Speaking of grooves, what's the best method of taking a groove from recorded audio (loop)?

I've tried a few ways and they all come with different results.

Options
1. Strip the groove from a loop imported into Ableton

2. Open the loop in recycle, verify the markers and export a midi track to Ableton and Extract the groove

3. Open a loop in recycle, verify markers and save as REX file. Import the Rex file into Ableton and extract groove

4.) (The most complex stepwise, but with the best results so far), Open a loop in recycle, verify markers, and save as REX file. Import the Rex file into Ableton, Slice to midi Track/Drum Rack, and then Extract the groove from that midi file.


It would seem that a midi file created from a Rex would be the same whether it was generated in Ableton or Recycle, so it shouldn't matter, but option 4 has been the best.

I'm fairly new to Ableton, so is there a reason why?

Also, is extracting a chain the best way to get different groove quantizing on separate drum sounds?

(This seemed much simpler on an MPC 3k/4k, but it may just be growing pains since I grew up using MPCs, and this is fairly new to me.
Old 19th February 2022 | Show parent
  #387
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK ➡️
It would seem that a midi file created from a Rex would be the same whether it was generated in Ableton or Recycle, so it shouldn't matter, but option 4 has been the best.

I'm fairly new to Ableton, so is there a reason why?
Well, the groove file is likely based on where the slices are, right? That's the timing aspect. However, any tool can only select one slice around an area, so it's the dynamics and transients that affect this (as multiple instruments in a loop may have different actual timings). Different algos would render different results. Filtering can affect where slice cuts occur. Some people slice by frequencies first, then layer.

I think it's hard to make a proper groove extraction without verifying it's working. On way to do that is to use the MIDI of the groove file with the original unwarped audio and play some triggered sound that would be obvious if it was off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK ➡️
Also, is extracting a chain the best way to get different groove quantizing on separate drum sounds?
It's one IMO good way. I don't work so much with loops, except I get ideas from them and sometimes grooves.

Last edited by Mikael B; 20th February 2022 at 10:58 AM..
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 524 views: 138483
Avatar for lestermagneto
lestermagneto 23rd October 2016
replies: 118 views: 16619
Avatar for philper
philper 22nd April 2013
replies: 599 views: 90455
Avatar for Vertflyer
Vertflyer 15th June 2019
replies: 29082 views: 2776074
Avatar for ralphNYC
ralphNYC 4 hours ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump